What Gear for Beach Driving ?

Fish2Day

I have a new ( for me) 2017 Ram 5.7 with the 8 speed transmission.

I'm planning on using 4X4 lock, but will the transmission select too high a gear ?

I believe I have the ability to manually change gears via buttons on the steering wheel, would this be the way to go or

just let the transmission select the gear ? 

Thanks in advance.

I have a 2012 Jeep Liberty, Here's what I do. First I let the air out of the tires to 18# psi. I take off in 4 hi, when I approach the beach if the sand looks good , I mean no deep ruts I keep here in 4 hi. If the sand is deep with a lot of tire ruts I go to 4 low. In 4 low my rears lock, trac control come off automaticly. I really like running in 4 low the best. I don't go over 10 to 15 mph , and I don't pay attention to what gear it's in, as long as she keeps moving. Had a Toyo Taco and did the same.

Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

I have a 07 4Runner.

I run the beach in aired down tires in 4-Hi with the center Dif locked to take off the traction control.

I pull the transmission down to 1 or 2.

I find that if I leave it in drive, it will lug along in too high(IMHO) a gear, like a manual in 5th going 20mph.

Pulling it down enables me to keep the RPMs up a little bit, and forces me to keep my speed down to 10 - 15 where the speed limit is.

If I hit a particularly soft spot, or big ruts, pull it into first, and just creep along under its natural power.

Each vehicle, and driving style will vary.

My old Blazer needed 4-lo, or it would overheat unless I was going into a stiff wind.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

If you do nothing else...air down to 20lbs. You want the tires to balloon so you float over the sand, not dig in. Put it in 4wd and let the transmission do the the work unless you run into difficulty.  Once in the sand, get your speed up to 15mph and let off the gas. If you keep rolling, your air pressure is ok. If the vehicle comes to an abrupt stop, let a couple more lbs of pressure out. There are two types of drivers on the sand.  Those who have been stuck and those who will get stuck.    It happens to everyone at least once, sooner or later. Dont worry about it. Your truck will handle the sand just fine, provided you air down.

AMSA, NCBBA, OBPA, VSSA

I am using a 2012 Hemi Ram for beach use. I also have the steering wheel controls for choosing specific gears. I always keep the 4x4 in high, and set the tranny on 2nd gear.  Now when you are on the sand, your truck will shift into first when you need power to get through soft sand, and will upshift to 2nd once you start to coast at a decent speed. I like to keep it set this way to prevent the tranny from hunting to much. Best method.

There is no one correct answer. Each vehicle is different. There is lots of good advice here, most important is to air down enough to float. Start at 1/2 the max rating of the tire and go from there. Best to also keep out of high gear and/or overdrive, try to hold in 2nd as mentioned. Usually no need for 4 low either.

16 hours ago, MikedNJ said:

I’ve heard 15psi is the magic number also. Been dying to take my car explorer on the beach but way to afraid to be “that guy” so I’ll keep making the 2 mile walk

You have a 4wd explorer? Drop the air and you’ll be good to go. 

Few reminders: tow strap, small shovel, 2’x2’ (thereabouts) flat board for a jack to sit on if needed, and a tire pressure gauge for air up/down. 

Also, it’s much easier to get the air down valves (real name escapes me) than to sit there with a pebble or golf tee airing down each tire one at a time. 

38 mins ago, PlumFishing said:

You have a 4wd explorer? Drop the air and you’ll be good to go. 

Few reminders: tow strap, small shovel, 2’x2’ (thereabouts) flat board for a jack to sit on if needed, and a tire pressure gauge for air up/down. 

Also, it’s much easier to get the air down valves (real name escapes me) than to sit there with a pebble or golf tee airing down each tire one at a time. 

2017 exploder sport