Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cachecropp

Fly rods from Kayak

8 posts in this topic

I'm looking for feedback on shorter fly rods in 5-8 weights. I will fish them from a kayak for stripers, redfish and smallmouth/largemouth bass.  Right now I have a trio of 9 ft rods, my favorite being a Loomis GLX 6 wt.  However, when I set it down in the kayak, the tip sticks past the bow by 6", so it doesn't fit inside a rod tip protector.  I would like to find a rod around 8 ft that casts with a nice quick action. I've been reading about Loomis Shorestalker and ShortStix.  Also have read some about Sage Bass, Orvis Recon and a few others.  

I would like to hear about the casting performance of shorter rods from a kayak, tossing streamers, crabs/shrimp etc both in freshwater and inshore.  Right now I'm leaning towards the ShoreStalker and Recon because I assume they both have a fairly fast action.  I don't have a fly shop anywhere nearby where I could test drive these.

I use the Ross shortstix in 7,8 and 10. The shorter rod I don’t notice the difference on a kayak over the 9’ version of rod. I’m able to keep the line off the water fine by using a climbing backcast. They have enough lifting power if the fish is directly below you. I’m also loading it using a 225g sinking line. 

Now for land use i still like the 9’ version. 

I own the loomis short stick and I have mixed feelings on the sub 9’ foot rods... be it from a kayak/boat  or by foot... so I’m no help there. I don’t think they are bad, just not my preference. 

what I will say is don’t over look the medium fast or mid flex  tapers for kayak fishing. I find that to be my preference on a kayak... not the case anywhere else... but it’s a lot easier on the kayak where super hIgh line speed and long casts are not needed. This has been my experience in both salt and fresh 

Go stiffer as you go shorter. Sitting and keeping the line airborne through a few false casts gets tiring pretty quickly ... never mind the line management on the cluttered "deck" of a yak. 

A 38" blue on a #8 from a yak is nirvana!

I always take 2 or 3 rods with me in the kayak each setup with different lines. Instead of having them fully made up (so 9ft or whatever long) I rig them and them break them in half and use a couple of velcro wraps to keep them neat. 

Then I stow them in the tankwell pointing back. This way they are kept horizontal and low to the water to reduce the risk of getting whacked etc. Never had a problem with this. You can swap rods easily.

With regards to shorter rods, I have just got a Recon 7'11" 9wt. I was pretty sceptical about these shorter rods but when I tried it I was blown away with the swing weight - its so light it feels weird and gets some getting used to. Throwing heavier lines is effortless. On the kayak they are far easier to cast from the sitting position and far easier on the shoulder all day. These rods are designed to be used with short head lines so you need to keep your false casts to a minimum. I fish these lines anyway and there is no discernible difference in casting distance from 9ft rods on kayak that I can tell.

I would suggest trying whatever rod setup you plan on using on land before heading out (and discovering that you are unable to cast as desired).

sit in a beach chair and try casting...easy as it gets. I did the same thing with my spinning gear before heading out, to gauge how hard it might be to cast well from a kayak.  Hint: The more you do it, the better you WILL get!!!

I tried the 9' rods and wasn't a fan from the kayak. I felt I couldn't get enough leverage when the fish was close to the kayak. I have the loomis shortstix and mini mag and like them from the kayak. They're ment to be used with a short aggressive head so you do less false casts. The rods work well  for trolling too. I can cast ok but I'm not that good at casting anyway.  A friend of mine whos been fly fishing for years really likes the the shorter fly rod from the kayak. With the newer hobie 180 drive you can cast put it in reverse and let out more line

Posted (edited)

The short rods are ideal for kayak fishing,  mainly  fighting and landing this is where the 7' rod shines. Choosing which rods/ manufacturer depends on budget and preference (casting style), I like rods around 7' range ...shorestalker is 8'9" so it's a bit long for my liking. I'm Currently using a 8wt reddington predator on my yak or SUP, it's a nice casting rod and has lots of backbone rods mentioned above are pretty decent I don't think you'll find a bad rod these days,I also like to up line for fast loading good luck finding the right arsenal hope this helps.

Edited by thaistick