ZZ Trout

Beach Snook

31 posts in this topic

Just started beach fly fishing.  Got a brand new addiction. They’re bad ass fish on the fly. 

8wt rod, intermediate line and white clouser got it done. 

I learned a lot reading here. Thanks

FB75E2F7-71FD-44DB-8F9B-82C3A6F44D7B.jpeg

EB5ABA92-AB24-48D8-8538-A2CCBBA3CE40.jpeg

Nice fish, I have always wanted to catch a snook on the fly. And nice rod, is it a Mangrove? Those have a great reputation around here. 

Congrats !! Just about anything white along the beach gets them . Yes , BA fish thanks for sharing 

Nice job...I'll be there in two weeks (sw fl) and will have both A 7 wt (for beach snook) and 9 wt (for snook of a jetty,  where you have to be more diligent regarding keeping them out of the rocks)...in fact, while theres not a lot of similarities  between snook and grouper, the one big one is that you give either if these fish a smigeon of leverage around some rocks, forget that fish 

7 hours ago, ZZ Trout said:

Just started beach fly fishing.  Got a brand new addiction. They’re bad ass fish on the fly. 

8wt rod, intermediate line and white clouser got it done. 

I learned a lot reading here. Thanks

FB75E2F7-71FD-44DB-8F9B-82C3A6F44D7B.jpeg

EB5ABA92-AB24-48D8-8538-A2CCBBA3CE40.jpeg

Congratulations !

Snook from the beach is great sport.

Cheers

^..^

Congrats on your snook,  they are addictive.   Nice one from longboat key also.

Posted (edited)

Very nice fish, am guessing it might be your first. Congratulations.

I am guessing in Florida, what part ? I believe the season is closed and it is best to try and have someone take a picture for you. Most people will be more than happy to do if they are around, if not try to at least keep them wet, pavement not so good.

Edited, my bad. upon closer inspection I can see it is sand and not pavement

P1100503sol.JPG.9827aa352be80e424914c1dfce754d1f.JPG

I got this one very early in the am and i was the only one around so I laid in the wet sand next to the water ( Snook don't flop around ) and put my rod in my hat.  This one was 33 inches and a wave came in and filled my hat with sand and shells and my reel as well. Once I released the fish I had to spend five minutes cleaning everything up. My rod is also a Mangrove.

Edited by bonefishdick

Very nice indeed ... is there snook on both sides of Florida or they only are on the west side.

thanks very much

Nice work dude, definitely a fun fish. If you plan to keep fishing the beach, I recommend following in BFDs footsteps and put your reel on top of your hat when taking a picture. That sand will do numbers on your brand new reel. Good lookin fish keep the reports coming!

49 mins ago, Poulin said:

Very nice indeed ... is there snook on both sides of Florida or they only are on the west side.

thanks very much

Snook are on both coasts !

Thanks guys.  

The rod is a TFO Mangrove. I was fishing the north Palm Beach area.  Lost a better fish just after that one. 

Snook on the fly on the beach is a very rewarding pastime. 

2 hours ago, Poulin said:

thanks very much

Probably a good idea to stick with gulf side fish. You'll work alot harder on the east coast. The waves are bigger, the current is stronger, and the water typically has more color. It's a rare day that conditions allow me to fish anything lighter than a 9wt. I fished Ft. Myers/Sanibel/Marco alot when I was a little grommet, it was crowded 30 years ago, not sure I want to see it today. I usually have the whole beach to myself here.

The nice thing about Sanibel is that it is not hard to find water all to yourself if you don't mind walking a bit. In most cases the fishing is not crowded when you go during the time when all the snowbirds have gone home which is right after Easter.