TheOtherOne

Plug Building Setup, Introduction, and maybe a few questions

50 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

You may have seen me in a few of the other forums....however, this is my first post in the lure building forum as I'm just taking the leap now. I have carpentry experience and some woodworking experience. I already have a small workshop that I'm currently trying to convert to focus more so on plugs. I already have:

• Tablesaw
  • Chopsaw
  • Small Craftsman Drill Press
  • Skil bandsaw that I couldn't get the blade aligned correctly on lol
  • Router
  • Jigsaw
  • Circular Saw
  • Cordless Drill and Impact
  • Hand Sander

To get started plug turning I got:

• HF lathe
  • "Benjamins Best" 3/4" Rough Gouge, 1" Skew Chisel, and I think a 3/8 spindle gouge
  • An Outside Caliper

I just ordered a variety of plug building material to play around with in case I end up turning something semi-fishable soon:

• Pre-bent wire
  • 0.28 oz pancake belly weights
  • 0.24 oz tail weights
  • 0.39 oz tail weights
  • 0.57 oz tail weights
  • 0.273" belly grommets
  • 0.152" Nose grommets
  • 0.375" tail grommets
  • 0.495" tail grommets
  • 3/8" and 1/2" eyes

Stopped by a certain home improvement store tonight to buy:

• 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" poplar (I figured poplar would be good to start practicing as I've heard its relatively easy to turn, and cheap/readily available, before I move on to AYC)
  • Some rattlecans (white primer, clear coat, and a few gloss enamel colors)
  • These long dewalt bits up to 1/4" (for through drilling, though I read that people go up to 5/16 for this?)
  • Spar urethane and mineral spirits to seal
  • I still need to find an epoxy to use and brushes, as well as bail wire since I'm not sure how I'll set them up for painting, drying, epoxy, etc.

I'd really appreciate if anyone could tell me if any of the things I've got or ordered was the wrong thing, and something that I'll never use....or if I'm on the right path. I've done a lot of research in here, and watched a lot of videos. I'm looking to get turning tomorrow. It's hard to compile all of my questions into one thing, and I'm also at the point where I don't know what I don't know...but one that just popped into my head: How do the grommets fit if the through hole is bigger than the grommet? Or does the wire just hold it tight once its wrapped? Also, does anyone have any recommendations for which epoxy to use?

Thank you in advance, I look forward to updating with my progress!

Edited by TheOtherOne

First, poplar literally explodes if it's not sealed extremely well and gets wet. I've had poplar plugs that have split and shed their topcoat the fist time they were fished (Makati's)

Stick to the softwoods - cedars, pines and spruces. Yellow pine is a decent cheap practice wood, the tighter the grain the better

Yes the wire holds the nose and tail grommets tight

Belly grommets should be snug in the hole. Scuffing the underside and using a 5 minute epoxy to hold it then running the topcoat up over the rim will pin it it permanently

Be sure to have dust collection and wear breathing protection. The fine dust can really mess up the lungs, especially if you do anything with exotics.

(eye protection goes without saying but I'm saying it anyway)

Envirotex lite, available at Michaels Arts n Crafts (Use the 40% off coupon) is the most popular, I like it and use it. 

West Systems is probably the best

learn to sharpen your chisels...most important

trade your gloss paints in for flat...your top coat will make them bright.....and your top coat will stick better on flat.

drill gauge...to find which bit for which grommet...as they come in many sizes.

17 hours ago, Sudsy said:

First, poplar literally explodes if it's not sealed extremely well and gets wet. I've had poplar plugs that have split and shed their topcoat the fist time they were fished (Makati's)

Stick to the softwoods - cedars, pines and spruces. Yellow pine is a decent cheap practice wood, the tighter the grain the better

Yes the wire holds the nose and tail grommets tight

Belly grommets should be snug in the hole. Scuffing the underside and using a 5 minute epoxy to hold it then running the topcoat up over the rim will pin it it permanently

Be sure to have dust collection and wear breathing protection. The fine dust can really mess up the lungs, especially if you do anything with exotics.

(eye protection goes without saying but I'm saying it anyway)

Envirotex lite, available at Michaels Arts n Crafts (Use the 40% off coupon) is the most popular, I like it and use it. 

West Systems is probably the best

Understood. I'll be buying something other than poplar the next time I need some more wood. I'll remember that about the grommets! I do have a shopvac I can rig up to be a dust collector and a pretty solid respirator. I'll try the Envirotex Lite, what brushes would guys use to brush it on? Thanks!

11 hours ago, capesams said:

learn to sharpen your chisels...most important

trade your gloss paints in for flat...your top coat will make them bright.....and your top coat will stick better on flat.

drill gauge...to find which bit for which grommet...as they come in many sizes.

I'll need to work on that. The only thing I have for that is a set of wetstones for my bench chisels. Will those work you think? I'll make sure to return the gloss for flat. Thank you!

1" foam brush

Once a year Michaels has a sale where they're around 5 cents each

I get a few hundred

I like an use a 6-8 inch pink grinding stone..these stones ware somewhat fast and are made that way as not to heat up the metal...but the motor itself needs to be a low rpm...like 1750....not a screamer that's 3400...I also use a belt sander but belts made for  metal which are green in color...only time I use flat stones are for reg. flat chisels.

One suggestion as far as the actual building process. Pick a plug style that you like to use a lot and work on making your own version of that plug. Don't move on to another style until you have gotten the first style down. You'll learn more this way and waste less materials. 

Posted (edited)

If you are going to turn wear a face shield. The first time a body explodes at 3200rpms you will know why. Go to Lowe' and get a few Forstner bits. Good ones. 1/2" 5/8"

Drill from the nose to the belly hole with a 5/32 drill (.156) Once you paint it the .152 nose grommet fits snug.

Edited by Charleston

On 5/14/2018 at 6:02 PM, Sudsy said:

1" foam brush

Once a year Michaels has a sale where they're around 5 cents each

I get a few hundred

I gotcha. I was looking to see if I had the Michaels circular laying around somewhere for this and the epoxy but couldn't find it. I'll keep my eyes peeled. Thanks!

On 5/14/2018 at 8:42 PM, capesams said:

I like an use a 6-8 inch pink grinding stone..these stones ware somewhat fast and are made that way as not to heat up the metal...but the motor itself needs to be a low rpm...like 1750....not a screamer that's 3400...I also use a belt sander but belts made for  metal which are green in color...only time I use flat stones are for reg. flat chisels.

ah ok, I'll need to be on the lookout for a slower one then. In the meantime I'll try to find a local place that can sharpen them as I don't have a beltsander yet either. Thank you!

9 hours ago, Jig Man said:

One suggestion as far as the actual building process. Pick a plug style that you like to use a lot and work on making your own version of that plug. Don't move on to another style until you have gotten the first style down. You'll learn more this way and waste less materials. 

I can definitely see that being the way to go- thank you for the advice! I can see myself working on a spook like this. Just learning how to turn is definitely my objective number one.

5 hours ago, Charleston said:

If you are going to turn wear a face shield. The first time a body explodes at 3200rpms you will know why. Go to Lowe' and get a few Forstner bits. Good ones. 1/2" 5/8"

Drill from the nose to the belly hole with a 5/32 drill (.156) Once you paint it the .152 nose grommet fits snug.

I'm sure that'll get the blood flowing. I picked up a cheap faceshield at HF, I already have nice safety glasses too. I did pick a few smaller ones up the other day at HomeDepot, not sure on the exact size but they were Diablos. I'll need to see if I have a 5/32 laying around. Thank you for the help!

So I spent the last few days cleaning up and reorganizing my workshop- I left it in a bad way last year before it sat over the winter. I should be done tomorrow so hopefully I'll be able to start turning tomorrow or the next day! I've been watching youtube videos and I can't wait to start.

How do you line up the belly hook hole? Is there a trick to making sure its center?

Nice first plug! 

For lining up the belly hole, I place the blank in a V-block, back of the plug down. Easy to look down the plug and mark the belly hole.

On 5/18/2018 at 0:19 PM, Jig Man said:

Nice first plug! 

For lining up the belly hole, I place the blank in a V-block, back of the plug down. Easy to look down the plug and mark the belly hole.

Thank you!! It's drying now, I tried sealing it with Spar Urethane and Mineral Spirits. I've heard of people using v-blocks, I guess I'll have to make one. For the belly hole I left the square ends on though so it was still flat, I just couldn't get the smaller belly hole for the grommet perfectly center, so I had to make it larger so the swivel will fit...so I'll have to leave the belly grommet off of this one.