Surfinator

Sun Mask

22 posts in this topic

Great and probably the most important topic on the whole site. I just got another Basal cell cut off. Not pleasant. Cancer kills. Protect yourself and get checked at least once a year if you are in a high-risk group ( fair skin, blue eyes, lots of exposure).

Lee

On 5/13/2018 at 10:14 PM, buddha162 said:

Simms Sun Gaiter is the best one, and I've tried them all. Only issue are the laser-cut breathing holes...they don't hold up to wear/tear/washings. While they last they are extremely comfortable and won't fog up your shades.  

Just picked up a couple of the new Huk gaiters. These are new for 2018, they're cut very similar to the Simms gaiters (not just a tube, but contoured to fit your face, going over your nose up top and neck flaps that extend into your shirt). They are slightly less breathable, but the mesh panel is a much more durable design than the Simms. We'll see how they work in hot weather...so far so good. 

huk gaiter.jpg

Is this the Simms you use?  I have found them too hot but will give it another shot as I don’t want cancer. And I’m always getting burnt and often at locations closer to equator for work. 

541B00F2-0BF0-4106-94FB-F1996382C266.jpeg

On 5/13/2018 at 10:14 PM, buddha162 said:

Simms Sun Gaiter is the best one, and I've tried them all. Only issue are the laser-cut breathing holes...they don't hold up to wear/tear/washings. While they last they are extremely comfortable and won't fog up your shades.  

Just picked up a couple of the new Huk gaiters. These are new for 2018, they're cut very similar to the Simms gaiters (not just a tube, but contoured to fit your face, going over your nose up top and neck flaps that extend into your shirt). They are slightly less breathable, but the mesh panel is a much more durable design than the Simms. We'll see how they work in hot weather...so far so good. 

huk gaiter.jpg

Is this the Simms you use?  Or the one without the hood part. If without does it stay up on its own or Need to be tucked into a hat?   Or falls down? I have found them too hot but will give it another shot as I don’t want cancer. And I’m always getting burnt..  I usually wear a fisherman’s hat and that doesn’t do much. 

0A97816E-7A6F-4E57-8974-A5480458856D.png

There are quite a few different brands available, and no one is any better than another, except when they add "special features" to entice the buyers.

I've been wearing one for a couple of years now, and was wearing a "French foreign-legion" type setup before that.

I also wear long sleeves AND gloves.

I get fewer and fewer strange looks as people are starting to see more and more of them nowadays.

38 mins ago, Mikeinri said:

Is this the Simms you use?  Or the one without the hood part. If without does it stay up on its own or Need to be tucked into a hat?   Or falls down? I have found them too hot but will give it another shot as I don’t want cancer. And I’m always getting burnt..  I usually wear a fisherman’s hat and that doesn’t do much. 

0A97816E-7A6F-4E57-8974-A5480458856D.png

That's the one, the gaiter not the sunhood. I pull it over the back of my cap, it stays put. Process is: pull gaiter down around your neck, cap goes on, pull up gaiter and adjust, sunglasses on. The only part that might need attention is your temple area, depending on how thick the arms of your sunglasses are...you might want to apply a little sunscreen there. 

6 mins ago, buddha162 said:

That's the one, the gaiter not the sunhood. I pull it over the back of my cap, it stays put. Process is: pull gaiter down around your neck, cap goes on, pull up gaiter and adjust, sunglasses on. The only part that might need attention is your temple area, depending on how thick the arms of your sunglasses are...you might want to apply a little sunscreen there. 

Excellent. Thank you 

23 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

There are quite a few different brands available, and no one is any better than another, except when they add "special features" to entice the buyers.

If by "special features" you mean thinner, more breathable material, mesh/holes so you won't fog up your shades, and proper cuts that won't slide down your nose or ride up your neck...then consider me enticed :)