Surfinator

Sun Mask

22 posts in this topic

After my buddy came back from the Dr with a chunk cut off his face Im thinking its time to get a sun mask. Was looking at the Gillz and Aftco. Should I be going crazy researching or are they all pretty much the same?

The ones with the vented mouth area are comfortable. I don’t tend to feel my warm breath like others without it. 

Light colored one. 

I also wear long sleeve shirts and pants. Light weight and light color. 

Got it thanks. I've always worn the long sleeve shirts but never gave my face a second thought until now.

I use Buff Head Gear. Been using them for a few years and very happy with them. 

05C8AD6B-8234-4CED-992A-C2EB873520E4.jpeg

Simms Sun Gaiter is the best one, and I've tried them all. Only issue are the laser-cut breathing holes...they don't hold up to wear/tear/washings. While they last they are extremely comfortable and won't fog up your shades.  

Just picked up a couple of the new Huk gaiters. These are new for 2018, they're cut very similar to the Simms gaiters (not just a tube, but contoured to fit your face, going over your nose up top and neck flaps that extend into your shirt). They are slightly less breathable, but the mesh panel is a much more durable design than the Simms. We'll see how they work in hot weather...so far so good. 

huk gaiter.jpg

As you pointed out, skin cancer is no joke.  Get some gloves too.  Hit the dermatologist once a year for a check.  Cancer kills.  One bonus to wearing full sun gear is no sunblock scent on your baits!

-The Pale dude with the hat, buff, and sungloves 

I couldnt have that on my face all day! My alternative is a boonie hat and sunscreen. Good sunglasses are just as important for the rays bouncing up off the water, cataracts are no joke! 

1 hour ago, cheech said:

I couldnt have that on my face all day! My alternative is a boonie hat and sunscreen. Good sunglasses are just as important for the rays bouncing up off the water, cataracts are no joke! 

I can't do sunscreen on my face...it traps heat and you can't feel your sweat evaporating, need to reapply, gets all over everything etc. The Simms and Huk and similar fabrics are thin and breathable, much more comfortable than sunblock imo. Key is to find one that fits your head and doesn't fog up your shades. The original Buffs are awful, any of the tube-style gaiters w/o some mesh/breathing hole designs are no good. They ride up your neck, slip down your nose, and fog up your shades...no bueno. 

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, cheech said:

Works for me too, but I'm eastern European, "tans easily" type. Some of these super light Irish/Nordic type guys can't take the sun at all.  I hate burning, and use only the Coppertone Sports, in the dark blue bottle. It dries, and doesn't stay greasy. I keep a 2oz bottle of it in my PFD.

Edited by gellfex

1 hour ago, gellfex said:

use only the Coppertone Sports, in the dark blue bottle. It dries, and doesn't stay greasy. I keep a 2oz bottle of it in my PFD.

+1.  This stuff is great.  Been using the 30SPF for years now.  Always have a bottle in the crate.  Lubing up with it is part of the rig up/pre-launch routine.  This plus a hat and shades do the trick for me.      

For surfing I use Headhunter War Paint, it's very thick and odorless, I buy it in form of stick, like an antiperspirant . I also got light colored Columbia's face/neck mask; while it has no dedicated vents, they claim it has some magic cooling effect based on evaporating sweat off the cloth surface.   

3 hours ago, Snapking said:

I just use SA brand masks. Cheap and they have a ton of different designs. 

I do as well.  I wonder if they are as good as they're supposed to be?  I like it for snow blowing and skiing or fishing when its cold as well.