Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

In-Shore or Off-Shore Charter?

14 posts in this topic

Second week of June. Since specs, which I generally spend a lot of time fishing on the Sound for, are forboden until at least the second week I am there (They MAY open it 6/15, but not sure), was thinking about doing a charter.

Have done a full day off shore charter twice, many years ago, First one was worth it, we bailed a LOT of Mahi, had a sailfish on but the guy dropped it, and I got a very large Spanish.

Second one we nearly got the skunk except for a very few mahi at the very end of the day.

Make up charters these days are $280 plus tip.

Half day (4 hour) inshore, which I have never done, is $125 plus. Not sure exactly what they get on the inshore charters.

Comments? Suggestions?

June is Hot for Cobia.. you might consider a nearshore trip. Saw lots of Cobia boats yesterday and today from The Point. Cobia has been seen in the surf as well..Offshore boats yesterday had lots of Blackfiin and gaffer Dolphin.

These days, Figure 2100 divided by six plus tip, on offshore trips.

Early June Spanish on gotcha plugs off the piers ... seems everything is two weeks late right now. 

You can catch all the specks you want , you just can't keep them

Thanks for the input. Cobia has certainly been in the back of my mind but have been wondering what else they might get "in shore". Spanish I guess, perhaps spade fish, perhaps flounder?

The dolphin is what would draw me offshore (along with the chance at a billfish).

Will I don't need to bring home tens of pounds of meat, some meat fish would be nice (and I eat most anything).

As to the specs on the sound, yeah, I will likely still C&R and hope to run into some puppy drum, flounder, small blues, even ribbon or hound fish while doing so. One year I even caught a 26" bass, which was a total surprise......

But both Donna and I love eating specs, so it is sort of a bummer. Hopefully it will open up the second week I am there.

Your best bet would be to decide what you want out of the trip and then to call a few captains and speak with them. Inshore  will target specs, puppy drum and possibly flounder.     Cobia fishing would combine the best of sportfishing and tablefare.  If conditions are right, you will be sight casting. If they are not, they could chum and bait fish for them.   Some boats troll for Spanish and small blue fish while looking for a Cobia.    Offshore, billfish are always a possibility but it is early for the good white marlin bite out of Oregon Inlet.   Tuna and mahi are the staples.  A few offshore captains will offer you a bottom fishing option (blue line tilefish/sea bass possibly) if trolling is slow.   There are also a few boats that do combined nearshore bottom fishing/trolling trips.  They catch triggerfish, sea bass and sometimes snowy grouper or mahi/Spanish.

I've been on bunches of offshore trips pulled baits all day and caught hardly anything or a couple of time Zero. I have never had a captain go bottom fishing. However one time I was fishing with Briton Shackleford and came up Zero so we hit a wreck that was Offshore and jogged up some Reef Donkies (amberjacks)

if you want to go offshore bottom fishing Miss Hatteras 

Any charter would be a make-up from Hatteras Harbor Marina, as I am by myself as far as fishing. The prices I mentioned above are fixed from their website.

Also thought of the Miss Hatteras, but wasn't sure what they exactly did and didn't have time to look at their website (I will), but not sure if I wanna fish on a "party boat" with a bunch of tourists, per se.......

Thanks for all the input, I may have to wait until I get there to decide. I suppose I can also talk to Frank Folb to get a scoop on what's happening at the time, as he is somewhat of a '"Friend" (thanks to years of bringing Fran snow peas when we came down ;)), and he will be more than happy to share the real deal of what is going on at the time with me.

In fact, he is gonna be shocked to see me, as it has been 8 years.... :eek:

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

), but not sure if I wanna fish on a "party boat" with a bunch of tourists, per se..

Hahahaha .... OK , Steve From Massachusetts ....We appreciate your tourist dollars..

125.00 per day is a pretty good deal. I'd bring an electric reel setup myself.

Pirates Cove and Oregon Inlet fishing center does make ups as well. 

Frank and Fran are now residents of Johnston County in the Kenly Area.. They sold the store over a year ago. I'm sure Fran would love some snow peas if you bring them to her. 

Edited by DaBig2na

i have had phenomenal success fishing off the Fintastic out of OIFC.  Captain Harris and his mate Jack are just great.  it costs a pretty penny, but its been worth it every time.  trying to plan a trip for this July and another for May of 2019.

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, DaBig2na said:

Hahahaha .... OK , Steve From Massachusetts ....We appreciate your tourist dollars..

125.00 per day is a pretty good deal. I'd bring an electric reel setup myself.

Pirates Cove and Oregon Inlet fishing center does make ups as well. 

Frank and Fran are now residents of Johnston County in the Kenly Area.. They sold the store over a year ago. I'm sure Fran would love some snow peas if you bring them to her. 

Bummer, sorry to hear that Frank sold the shop, I was looking forward to seeing him.  :(

Is Ginger and the others still there, or did they move along as well? Fran used to love the snow peas and spinach I would bring her from my garden in June, as they couldn't easily get them down there.

I also used to rent a cottage from Bob Fox who hung out at Frank and Fran's all the time. After Bob's wife died, he eventually had to sell the cottage he rented (it was directly in front of his year round house).

As far as the Miss Hatteras and "tourists", yeah I suppose I am one even though we had come down for 2 weeks for some 23 years. I was more referring to those folks that have no clue about fishing and decide to give it a go on a boat like that. Nothing wrong with that, but......... ;)

PS - I looked at the Oregon Inlet Fishing Cater website and couldn't find any solid info about make up charters.

Edited by Steve in Mass

32 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

PS - I looked at the Oregon Inlet Fishing Cater website and couldn't find any solid info about make up charters.

i have been a part of two make-up charters out of OIFC.  all you gotta do is give them a call for the day(s) you want to fish and they will match you up with 5 other people.  they may also ask if you would be willing to take a trip with only 5. this would increase the cost as it would be the charter rate 2060 for 2018 for a full day off shore trip divided by either 5 or 6 people. they will call you the evening before your trip to confirm and tell you the vessel you will go out on.  the rest is the same as any other trip out of the fishing center.

tight lines my friend!

-Sean

Steve,

The only thing is I used to go out from time to time on the Country Girl out of Manteo back in the day.  Didn't hurt I knew the family but always had a good time.  My caught his only Amberjack on one of those trips.

Cabo

2 hours ago, hanlon-surf said:

i have been a part of two make-up charters out of OIFC.  all you gotta do is give them a call for the day(s) you want to fish and they will match you up with 5 other people.  they may also ask if you would be willing to take a trip with only 5. this would increase the cost as it would be the charter rate 2060 for 2018 for a full day off shore trip divided by either 5 or 6 people. they will call you the evening before your trip to confirm and tell you the vessel you will go out on.  the rest is the same as any other trip out of the fishing center.

tight lines my friend!

-Sean

This is all the same as at Hatteras, only it is more expensive.

Thanks for the info. :)

Posted (edited)

2 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

This is all the same as at Hatteras, only it is more expensive.

Thanks for the info. :)

no problem and yes, OIFC is more than Hatteras.  never had the opportunity to fish from there, but i aim to remedy that soon :)

they routinely excel at the fall wahoo bite out of there and a monster hoo is on my bucket list

Edited by hanlon-surf
added text

On 5/16/2018 at 10:50 AM, Steve in Mass said:

As far as the Miss Hatteras and "tourists", yeah I suppose I am one even though we had come down for 2 weeks for some 23 years. I was more referring to those folks that have no clue about fishing and decide to give it a go on a boat like that. Nothing wrong with that, but......... ;)

MA plates on your car= Tourist. Sorry ...

Call Oregon Inlet Fishing Center and talk to Norma. 

On 5/16/2018 at 9:04 AM, hanlon-surf said:

Fintastic out of OIFC.  Captain Harris and his mate Jack are just great.

I saw Dickie and Jack Last week while I was at the fishing center picking up tuna belly to use for bait. Jack and I Drum fished quite a bit last Fall. Need a good Attorney call his dad. He's gotten me out of a speeding ticket pricey but worth it