SIC34

Derailing the reports thread. Proper fish handling/ CNR

58 posts in this topic

boga grip is for tools go ahead and stick it right up your hiney hole.

i can eye ball that fish and tell you your better off making the weight up because your going to be disappointed when it's hanging from a scale. 

it's ok if your one of the legit big fish hunters here. which i think there are very few.

No boga or net for me to pull the fish out of the water - not even for ****ing bluefish!   That's for snowflakes too wimpy to touch the fish's eyes, mouth or teeth.  

Posted (edited)

8lb blue looks enormous to me. Biggest was probably 12. Last year I had 2 blues at once that was ****ed up. Bent my hook. Probably took 5 mins on the sand. Both fish lived..... most likely. I agree with the guy with the friend who hooks his dogs nose. 

Edited by jeffapeikin

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Hammerz said:

Most of the guys who cry about keeping a fish or fish handling skills don't catch themselves.

I think the way many of the people in the freshwater forum handle their catches is a sin.

I"ve bitched about it in the  past....and I most definitely do catch

So much so that I stopped reading the reports even though there are some good catches and pics mixed in from people that respect the resource.

People don't realize that while fish move you will run into the same fish.  Perfect example was a PB fish a friend broke off last week.....and got his jig back yesterday.

2888.jpeg

Edited by scoobydoo

If you drag them onto wet sand it is fine, dry sand not so much. I think the biggest mistakes I see people doing is either grabbing fish in the gills or moving the fish back and forth when reviving them. Only the forward direction gives them more oxygen, pulling them backwards basically chokes them. Also I have not found it that difficult to unhook bluefish with a decent set of pliers, but maybe the ones I am catching are not big enough? 

That being said, saltwater fish are generally much hardier than freshwater fish, esp trout. 

2 hours ago, jeffapeikin said:

8lb blue looks enormous to me. Biggest was probably 12. Last year I had 2 blues at once that was ****ed up. Bent my hook. Probably took 5 mins on the sand. Both fish lived..... most likely. I agree with the guy with the friend who hooks his dogs nose. 

I had one out a bit longer than that last week. I had forgotten to crush the barbs on my SP minnow, and had one Hell of a time getting the treble hook out. Bastard kept clamping down on my pliers and flying all over the place. Finally got the hook out and got it back in the water, and it still had more than enough energy to try and take my finger off.

Some fish are tough and can take some rough handling. No need to intentionally be a d*ck about it, though.

Yes someone should call the county. Using a good metal lip on a blue fish like that. lol

Do you know how many bass I had to catch before I was finally able to catch a bluefish?