SIC34

Derailing the reports thread. Proper fish handling/ CNR

58 posts in this topic

23 mins ago, OrtleyBeach35 said:

Easy to “chase” these reports... schoolie heaven out front 

PM coming!

1 hour ago, frogman00 said:

A member posted a photo of him holding a bluefish down with his foot...I don't see a problem with that.  He didn't kick it & it didn't look like he was crushing it.  Are we really that sensitive that we're worried some snowflake will make a big deal about it??

I wonder if scooby called the county yet.  

29 mins ago, fishless said:

You owe P10 .25 cents royalty fee. 

I know...i tried, but couldn't resist. Funny. 

I've been in a bunch of blitz's here and montauk where stripers ride the wave up then lay there in the rocks or on the sand flopping until the next wave comes up and they thrash themselves back into the water.

If that were enough to kill them there would be no stripers.

Not say keeping them wet isn't a bad move - but I'm not risking getting hooked or bit by a #@$# bluefish unnecessarily.

And why is gently holding it down with your foot so terrible (when you're not wearing your Boga)? I've done far more damage crushing it holding the thrashing bastage behind the head

I've always said 'Every bad thing I've ever seen fishing has had a bluefish involved" so no, I'm not taking any chances and yes, it can be pretty much a death grip. The stupid fish is far better off with me gently pinning it with my foot on the wet part of the sand.

I hate bluefish

2 mins ago, Sudsy said:

I hate bluefish

Had to be said :laugh:

Dude this is 2018 and that type of debauchery is no longer tolerated.  :mad:  Bluefish lives matter.  

And I will run you over with a car - legally of course, since you're a protester getting in my way.

1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

I've been in a bunch of blitz's here and montauk where stripers ride the wave up then lay there in the rocks or on the sand flopping until the next wave comes up and they thrash themselves back into the water.

If that were enough to kill them there would be no stripers.

Not say keeping them wet isn't a bad move - but I'm not risking getting hooked or bit by a #@$# bluefish unnecessarily.

And why is gently holding it down with your foot so terrible (when you're not wearing your Boga)? I've done far more damage crushing it holding the thrashing bastage behind the head

I've always said 'Every bad thing I've ever seen fishing has had a bluefish involved" so no, I'm not taking any chances and yes, it can be pretty much a death grip. The stupid fish is far better off with me gently pinning it with my foot on the wet part of the sand.

I hate bluefish

Good points. I've seen false albacore do the same thing at Block Island. Chase sandeels onto dry sand at my feet and then flip themselves back into water.

I don't fool around with big blues or big bass. Too strong to have trebles shaking all over the place. Especially in the dark.

Single hooks crushed barbs no belly hook for blues.   

While I'm new to surf fishing I've been trout/salmon & bass fishing since I was a kid.  Doing what you can to prevent harm to the fish is important but keeping yourself safe is #1.  

I watched a budy of mine try to get a rapala out of his dogs nose once.  He ended up with one treble buried in the meet of his hand and the other in the tip of the dogs nose.  Most painful thing you could imagine with all the thrashing about.  He ended up with some permanent damage from it.

If that dog had been a blue flish the first thing he would have done was kill it to stop it from tearing his hand to pieces.  

Keep yourself safe and that provides you with the oportunity  to safely release the fish.  Use your foot or gripper or whatever technique works best for u and does the least damage I say.

Most of the guys who cry about keeping a fish or fish handling skills don't catch themselves.