Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JimmyJam

Body Roll: Why is it?

23 posts in this topic

Float test the blank and mark the natural up. Recheck till completion.

Seems with plugs that roll is most often thought of as more or less; it can also be thought of as faster or slower.

There are some great posts on this and similar subjects by Skippy,Big Rock and other builders ! All very informative.

On 5/10/2018 at 0:03 PM, JimmyJam said:

Honestly, it's about surfsters (so, a specific metal lip). I don't have the same issues when I build lures using pikie lips, etc. Might just use the pike lips instead of the wide surfster lips. 

Surfsters are going to roll. A lot of that is the lip. Not always a bad thing. To me Surfsters are a calm water plug. Crawl them slow on top and they can be deadly. No lead in mine. You can certainly use a pikie lip in place of a Surfster lip. Less roll.  Same size, shape as the surfster, just use a pikie lip instead. Will hold current better too.

Thanks, everyone. Adjusting the line tie has had a considerable improvement. Night and day. Next up, no eyes, no strong color contrast. 

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:51 AM, rollincoal said:

...it can also be thought of as faster or slower.

maybe period and amplitude...

On 5/10/2018 at 11:51 AM, Jig Man said:

On thing to keep in mind on the weighting, try keeping the belly weight low in the body. If your plug likes a 1/4 oz slug, use a wider shorter slug rather than a longer narrower slug. Weight lower in the plug tends to make them more stable and will produce less roll. 

This /\ 

On some plugs I put the belly weight a little south of center, towards the tail.