Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JimmyJam

Body Roll: Why is it?

23 posts in this topic

Hey, guys. Are there primary things to consider when you want to eliminate as much body roll as possible?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Lip type, WEIGHT PLACEMENT, plug length, center of mass, hook size, etc...

That's pretty much it

Could be any one or combination of all those things

Some designs just naturally have more roll, Dannys for example

You can alway tell a plug that's expected to have a bit of roll by the lack of eyes and any paint pattern that would look odd waving up and down. That's why Danny's (that catch) are generally a single color, or at most two but not with a lot of contrast between them (burple for example).

And if you have a plug that has too much roll, before you go messing with anything else, take a pair of pliers and bend the eye down. More often than not that solves the issue.

All the above is your answer.  Best way to eliminate or better yet, get the action you are looking for is to test, test and test again.  Take notes (weight size, lips, placement of weights, hook sizes, Etc) once you have the action you like take measurements and your notes and build the plug.   Then fish the hell out of it.   

I've found that how much lip that hangs below the face of the plug has a pretty big effect on roll. Like Sudsy said, some designs or combinations are more prone to it, but I did a highly unscientific experiment one time on 6 plugs, all the same except for height of the lip slot on the face, the usual center lip slot worked normally, higher wiggled less/rolled less, and lower rolled more/wiggled more.

Kind of makes sense, if you think of the bottom of the lip as a lever, the more lever sticking down the more leverage the lip gets to move the plug. I have been leaving the bottom bend of the lip in line with the bottom of the face of the plug, generally, when viewed from the side. I've also used some pretty good plugs that had more lip sticking down, and rolled more.

19 hours ago, Sudsy said:

That's pretty much it

Could be any one or combination of all those things

Some designs just naturally have more roll, Dannys for example

You can alway tell a plug that's expected to have a bit of roll by the lack of eyes and any paint pattern that would look odd waving up and down. That's why Danny's (that catch) are generally a single color, or at most two but not with a lot of contrast between them (burple for example).

I totally get everything counts. I was kind of hoping there were some primary factors I can focus on. Thank you, sir. 

19 hours ago, Sudsy said:

And if you have a plug that has too much roll, before you go messing with anything else, take a pair of pliers and bend the eye down. More often than not that solves the issue.

Hmm..I will definitely try that tonight. 

16 hours ago, Antagonizer said:

All the above is your answer.  Best way to eliminate or better yet, get the action you are looking for is to test, test and test again.  Take notes (weight size, lips, placement of weights, hook sizes, Etc) once you have the action you like take measurements and your notes and build the plug.   Then fish the hell out of it.   

Thanks man. I'm at the point in my life (2 kids, one disabled) where I can only build one at a time (and i'm generally doing handcarves right now). I agree testing is always the way to go, but not always an option. Was hoping to narrow things down. 

15 hours ago, Jig Man said:

Not that roll can be a bad thing in a plug....

It's driving me nuts, jiggy. On plugs I build that are prone to a ton of roll, like surfsters, I think i'm going to just make them blind and a solid color, like what was suggested.  

Ha - I just noticed I wrote eye down

That's completely wrong - it's eye up !

Sorry for the brain fart

Posted (edited)

Are we talking about 'roll' on metal lips or on all plugs?

Like on a darter...moving line tie up and back onto bevel increases roll.

But opposite is true on metal lip

Edited by Livefreeordie

49 mins ago, JimmyJam said:

It's driving me nuts, jiggy. On plugs I build that are prone to a ton of roll, like surfsters, I think i'm going to just make them blind and a solid color, like what was suggested.  

Know what you mean! Some plugs just want to roll. As long as they do not roll out, its all good. Watch a hurt baitfish sometime. I've seen them swimming and almost rolling 180 degrees one way then the next. 

With a surfster, its going to roll and have a good tail wag. Surfsters I tend to fish slower than other metal lips cause you can get that tail wag and roll at a slower speed. Can be deadly in calmer conditions. 

On thing to keep in mind on the weighting, try keeping the belly weight low in the body. If your plug likes a 1/4 oz slug, use a wider shorter slug rather than a longer narrower slug. Weight lower in the plug tends to make them more stable and will produce less roll. 

7 mins ago, Jig Man said:

On thing to keep in mind on the weighting, try keeping the belly weight low in the body. If your plug likes a 1/4 oz slug, use a wider shorter slug rather than a longer narrower slug. Weight lower in the plug tends to make them more stable and will produce less roll. 

Surfsters in the spring, in the Raritan bay, is my go to choice.

Thanks for the advice regarding keeping the weight low. I'll definitely consider that in the future. 

Do you think the shape has anything to do with it? Rounded, versus off-center, versus flatter (like a hand carve).

47 mins ago, Livefreeordie said:

Are we talking about 'roll' on metal lips or on all plugs?

Like on a darter...moving line tie up and back onto bevel increases roll.

But opposite is true on metal lip

Honestly, it's about surfsters (so, a specific metal lip). I don't have the same issues when I build lures using pikie lips, etc. Might just use the pike lips instead of the wide surfster lips. 

6 hours ago, JimmyJam said:

Thanks man. I'm at the point in my life (2 kids, one disabled) where I can only build one at a time (and i'm generally doing handcarves right now). I agree testing is always the way to go, but not always an option. Was hoping to narrow things down. 

Man I know how it goes I have 3 kids and it’s a lot sometime I give you and others a lot of credit raising disabled kids. I have accumulated a lot of turned bodies way more than I’ll use if you could use or want some hit me up. Something different to play with