Riley1121

Penn slammer 3 4500 issue

8 posts in this topic

So I easily removed the trip lever from my slammer 3 5500 as well as my 4500. After I was done the 5500 works flawlessly but for some reason the 4500 is extremely stiff to reel. Any idea on what reasoning could be? Reel has been smooth and flawless till now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming you didn't remove the cap that keeps the the ar bearing in place.

My guess.....

 

Missing washer below the rotor and above the ar clutch sleeve.

((this would force the rotor to sit too low....and possibly impact the rubber rotor bake.

Or 

 

The piece that engages the rotor brake when the bail is open may be "out of whack"  (technical term :)  )

 

Or

 

You could have overtightened the rotor retaining nut.  Possibly putting a side load on the bearings causing tightness.  ((check that first by loosening the nut a quarter turn.))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Riley1121 -

     Did you remove the trip lever or trip ramp? Removing the lever makes it so you have no auto trip, but also means no rotor brake. Removing the ramp means no auto trip but you still have the rotor brake. Just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing before we try to diagnose here.

 

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 mins ago, PENN Fishing said:

Riley1121 -

     Did you remove the trip lever or trip ramp? Removing the lever makes it so you have no auto trip, but also means no rotor brake. Removing the ramp means no auto trip but you still have the rotor brake. Just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing before we try to diagnose here.

 

Ben

Thanks for the response. It is the trip lever now mind you this is the first time i am attempting this so let me know if the lever should be re installed and trip ramp is what should be removed. I removed part #28 from each reel. the 5500 seems fine 4500 extremely stiff 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Assuming you didn't remove the cap that keeps the the ar bearing in place.

My guess.....

 

Missing washer below the rotor and above the ar clutch sleeve.

((this would force the rotor to sit too low....and possibly impact the rubber rotor bake.

Or 

 

The piece that engages the rotor brake when the bail is open may be "out of whack"  (technical term :)  )

 

Or

 

You could have overtightened the rotor retaining nut.  Possibly putting a side load on the bearings causing tightness.  ((check that first by loosening the nut a quarter turn.))

thanks brotha! unfortunately i may have gotten in over my head here haha knew it seemed to simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Riley1121 said:

Thanks for the response. It is the trip lever now mind you this is the first time i am attempting this so let me know if the lever should be re installed and trip ramp is what should be removed. I removed part #28 from each reel. the 5500 seems fine 4500 extremely stiff 

Ya, they have slightly different systems on the inside. By removing the lever you essentially now have the rotor brake on 100% of the time with no way to turn it off. The rotor lever actually holds the brake in the off position when the bail is not flipped back, so by removing the lever, it's always on. Your best bet is to remove the rotor, reinstall the lever, and remove the ramp (easy once you remove the rotor). Just be cautious when dealing with the seals around the main shaft and rotor nut and be sure to reinstall them properly when reassembling.

 

If you have questions feel free to take this offline with me, I can walk you through it as well. Just shoot me a PM.

 

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Riley1121 said:

thanks brotha! unfortunately i may have gotten in over my head here haha knew it seemed to simple.

Oh whoops....I missed the "lever" part and thought you removed the ramp....

For future reference on most reels...if you want to go manual bail.  If possible remove the ramp and leave the lever and springs alone (that way you don't disrupt the weight distribution

The brake on the penn is unique....really cool way of doing it very effective brake!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.