HL

Cape Cod

159 posts in this topic

4 mins ago, Otshawytsha said:

But Mike makes this trip every year, allegedly. So he doesn't can just use next year what he doesn't use this year and only tie like 25 flies next year. In essence, nothing is wasted, it can all be used eventually, unlike with say a bonefish trip that you may never make again to a particular island. 

I think we all have been there On those kind of trips as well so once again all I can say is  "it is what we do"

That's right BFD. That's why I like to call it the "cult of fly fishing": you put into it a lot less than you get out of it, but you still have to put in a lot. 

There's some pretty good tiers in Mikey`s spring house,  myself Excluded,  who bring materials and who can whip up a dozen flies for Mike in short order.  No problem as he could come empty handed and still fish.    Heck RJ as a Suburban filed with bargain basement flies !!!!-

HT

1 hour ago, HillTop said:

There's some pretty good tiers in Mikey`s spring house,  myself Excluded,  who bring materials and who can whip up a dozen flies for Mike in short order.  No problem as he could come empty handed and still fish.    Heck RJ as a Suburban filed with bargain basement flies !!!!-

HT

Hilltop sounds like a cult type situation a la a commune. So what does MikeOliver have to "bring to the table" to contribute his fair share of the commonweal? I hope he cooks some good bangers and mash or a Full English Breakfast, hopefully using the sausage as a breakwater.  

Nope, nothing required of Mike as he provides inspiration (and English Tea!).     He's the proverbial glue that holds it all together.

Mike has made this trip every year for past at least seven years maybe more and intends to keep on making them God willing every year. Allegedly does not come into it. :)

The  50 flies is a conservative number. You can trash a lot of flies in 21 nights.

On a long distance trip you need the comfort factor.

Mikey

2 hours ago, HillTop said:

HT

I resemble that remark.  Fishing the Cape's demise was a great opportunity for a huge amount of their Umqua's finest flies a $0.50 per fly.  And remember those $6.00 TCO flies at the 2016 Show.  The Double Order Sale a come to our shop bought for $1.00 each. Ya gotta strike while the Iron is hot!  "Catching early worm, is a talent that grows with age.

Mike is an excellent fly tier.    I talk him out of a couple of deceivers every year.  

This year I have tied and put a teazer fly at the top of the leader by the double surgeon loop bitter end and a larger Deceiver, Crab, Clouser, etc, at the end of the 35 inch leader. I have tied 50 of them.  I'm testing a metal connection between the Surgeon loop and the fly line.  A tiny "Tatical Clip"  on the end for the fly line's chinese finger like loops. It only take a second to switch out a new teaser combo.

We will see how the rankings at the cottage go this year.  A nicer bunch as you will find anywhere between London,  Cardiff, Cork, New Jersey, New York, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and Massachuetts.

9 days to week one at Harwich Port, week two is 16 days and week three is 23 days and counting!

The Kelly Kettle is packed and ready for action on the strand, in the dark, near a oyster pond!

Posted (edited)

Rj

Thats real funny “resemble”

Ok don’t forget a means of making fire. Can you Imagine 02:00 on a cold wet morning. Kelly Kettle all loaded up with water and fire base with kindling wood. Tea bags  in mugs fruit cake resting on white china plates and no matches. Morale would fall to an all time low. We need our tea.  Taxed or not.

oly

Edited by Mike Oliver

2 hours ago, HillTop said:

Nope, nothing required of Mike as he provides inspiration (and English Tea!).     He's the proverbial glue that holds it all together.

Roger that!  Perfect description HT!  

2 hours ago, Otshawytsha said:

Hilltop sounds like a cult type situation a la a commune. So what does MikeOliver have to "bring to the table" to contribute his fair share of the commonweal? I hope he cooks some good bangers and mash or a Full English Breakfast, hopefully using the sausage as a breakwater.  

Mike and most other gentelemen from the British Isles are big fans of the typical America breakfast nook!  Mike waxes poetic when describing his favorite breakfast haunts on Montauk and Cape Cod.  His favorite was in Harwich Port but it was shut down and turned into a parking lot.

I'm going to introduce him to Shrimp and Grits with a little steamed spinach this year.  I got the recipe while fishing Ameila Island, FL, this past January,  The two poached eggs on top make it unforgetable!!! 

Posted (edited)

21 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Rj

Thats real funny “resemble”

Ok don’t forget a means of making fire. Can you Imagine 02:00 on a cold wet morning. Kelly Kettle all loaded up with water and fire base with kindling wood. Tea bags  in mugs fruit cake resting on white china plates and no matches. Morale would fall to an all time low. We need our tea.  Taxed or not.

oly

Oly,

In the Kettle is a box of 250 large Kitchen Matches from The Diamond Match Co. and I have a large Yorkshire Gold box of tea for  the troops and visitors.  The supply of kindling from the Custom Wood Mill is in the same box. Tips Tea are available if you would like me to pick up a box. It'll save you some space for Flies, etc.

Edited by RJ

Posted (edited)

On 5/17/2018 at 7:34 PM, RJ said:

This year I have tied and put a teazer fly at the top of the leader by the double surgeon loop bitter end and a larger Deceiver, Crab, Clouser, etc, at the end of the 35 inch leader. I have tied 50 of them.  I'm testing a metal connection between the Surgeon loop and the fly line.  A tiny "Tatical Clip"  on the end for the fly line's chinese finger like loops. It only take a second to switch out a new teaser combo.

You don't think you're going to hit a worm hatch what about shrimp or crabs? I'm speaking of at night as in nocturnal emissions i.e. from a pond of some sort. 

How are you storing these "pre-tied" teaser and fly combos?

Edited by Otshawytsha

10 hours ago, Otshawytsha said:

I am not part of the conclave but I think I am okay in saying that Mike's mere presence is all that is needed when it comes to bringing something to the table. 

Not just Mike's group, there are many others just like it that have that one person that is the glue that holds it all together year after year. That is the most important ingredient intended or not. Most people don't don't look at themselves like as being that one person but everyone else knows who that person is.

8 mins ago, bonefishdick said:

Not just Mike's group, there are many others just like it that have that one person that is the glue that holds it all together year after year. 

Dick, this is so true.

8 hours ago, Otshawytsha said:

You don't think you're going to hit a worm hatch what about shrimp or crabs? I'm speaking of at night as in nocturnal emissions i.e. from a pond of some sort. 

Don't the traditional striper as trout fishing cult members hear you talking about that. They will go crazy, telling you need to tie all that stuff up OTW while the stripers are slurping away behind you and the spot burners are trying to seek you out and announce your secret spot to the whole world. 

How are you storing these "pre-tied" teaser and fly combos?

Since you've brought it up, again, I guess it's now a topical part of the conversation.  So, I'll ask, what's your ax to grind with the "striper as trout fishing cult"?  All of the people on this forum that I can think of that YOU would label as members of the "cult" only ever offer their opinions and perspectives as another way to think about fishing for stripers.  I could understand all this vitriol if it were directed at something like the state of the fisheries, or mishandling of fish, or something that matters.  Why do you care how someone else chooses to target their fish, if it's doing no harm?  No one give a rat's A$$ how you choose to fish. . .

Posted (edited)

Otshawytsha

Storage is in  a single Double Zip Lock 3.5 inch X  5 &7/8ths clear snack bags that come in a box of 40 potion Pack's.

The product will hold  a full cup of liquid and has the measurements list on its face 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup and 1 cup lines.It has a little white patch you can make notes upon! :hooked:  I have been hooked on these bags for about a year.  You can get them in Dollar Tree Stores throughout most of the nation.There is a Dollar Tree Store in East Harwich in the same mall the is a Ocean State Job Lots.  The product is Surefresh and the box is pink and white with a surefrest banner in blue in the upper left hand corner.  40 sturdey bags for a Dollars is a grand bargain.

Your comment about Mike Oliver coming to the US every year "allegedly" is a bit snarky and sophomoric!  Mike comes to the US in the Spring and Fall.  He stopped the fall trips to Montauk because of the poor quality of striped bass inshore number two years ago.

I have fished with Mike for the last decade!  Your boorish attitude won't float in this environment.  So i'll bid you good bye!  By simply clicking on the Ignore button you are banished to Coventry, Old Boy!

As far as worm hatches, I ran a annual Worm Hatch Crew of up to 15 fly fisher's on Quonny Pond, Charlestown, RI, for 6 years.

The consensus of the Worm Crew was it was interesting but didn't match the joys of fishing on the flats for post spawn striped bass  with crab flies.  Quonny Pond has a huge influx of green crabs every spring and fishing green crab flys on the incoming tides was way more productive than fishing for worm hatch bass.

:beatin:

Edited by RJ