HL

Cape Cod

132 posts in this topic

On 5/8/2018 at 2:51 PM, Mike Oliver said:

RedGreen

Reports are worth jack.  At best they are history . It will be what it will be.

But am I  confident. 

You bet I am. The bit is almost between my teeth now and the blood is starting to overheat.

Our timing is as good as we can make it.

Mike

Last night was the warmest night of the year, no question. I don't think it got to 70 today, but last night it might not have dropped below 60.  :th:

When do you arrive? I'd ask about RJ, but I really don't care.

Hi Mike, Matt here in Brewster, Ma. Took some  pics year or so back of Spey Casting on Cape Cod Bay. If your around this week and next give me a shout @ 774-212-7954 love to see you and of course take some images.

Matt

Posted (edited)

Matt

I arrive May 26 so will not be around this week or next.

No Spey casting Matt it was and is all over head casting.

Some guys do it in the ocean but not any in our group.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

On 5/8/2018 at 11:51 AM, Mike Oliver said:

RedGreen

Reports are worth jack.  At best they are history . It will be what it will be.

But am I  confident. 

You bet I am. The bit is almost between my teeth now and the blood is starting to overheat.

Our timing is as good as we can make it.

Mike

How long are you fishing for Mike? Do you ever fish worm hatches? 

I am fishing for three weeks. I have always fancied fishing a worm hatch but they are not easy to locate on foot in the Cape.

My first love is open ocean beaches and then flats and inlets.

I enjoy night dishing a great deal to.

Cape is a great place to fish the fly rod.

Mike

Hi Mike, Matt here in Brewster, Ma. Took some  pics year or so back of Spey Casting on Cape Cod Bay. If your around this week and next give me a shout @ 774-212-7954 love to see you and of course take some images.

Matt

Mike, give me a shout when you settle in here in Massachusetts. I would love to get together, in the water.

Instagram @ mjczuchra.  

Posted (edited)

Matt

I have so many commitments to fish with several SOL guys that will be a tad difficult. I probably have stretched myself too thinly already and desperately also need some time to fish alone to re connect and charge my batteries.

Sorry Matt.  Maybe we can sort something for next year. Thanks for reaching out.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

No problem Mike, enjoy your stay and time on the water. Post your results. 

Matt

Image, Brewster Cape Cod Bay last week

0Q9A0850 (2).jpg

Thanks for understanding. If my diary gets freed up if guys drop out I will give you call.

Will try and call you what ever to at least say hello and to keep in touch.

Frantically tying flies in the garden with the rare sun beaming down into my small English garden . Much  nicer working in natural light even if the materials get blown about a bit.

Barely a week left and way too much to do.

Mike

How many flies do you end up using normally? And how many do you tie? Bring materials with to tie over there?

Posted (edited)

Depends on how many Blue Fish show up and also how  many Stripers we get into.

In total not unusual to tye up around 50 flies of various types. Probably get through at least half of them.

Tye 5 flies a day for two weeks and you get the job done.

Well that’s the intention anyway.

Tying when you are short of sleep is not easy so I get vast majority of flies tied at home.

Weight and space is a premium and  bringing materials  is a pain.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

Like most when folks are going on a trip we always end up tying more flies than we will use. I don't know anyone who has not gone home with more flies than they  needed,  it is what we do !

The other up side of a trip with friends is we can always end up sponging a fly or two from them because they have the one that is working, you know the one we did not tie.

58 mins ago, bonefishdick said:

Like most when folks are going on a trip we always end up tying more flies than we will use. I don't know anyone who has not gone home with more flies than they  needed,  it is what we do !

The other up side of a trip with friends is we can always end up sponging a fly or two from them because they have the one that is working, you know the one we did not tie.

But Mike makes this trip every year, allegedly. So he doesn't can just use next year what he doesn't use this year and only tie like 25 flies next year. In essence, nothing is wasted, it can all be used eventually, unlike with say a bonefish trip that you may never make again to a particular island.