fishychris

Knot for mono to shock

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I usually chunk using braid but since I moved just recently I've been running into issues with the braid just breaking after soaking a bit. I usually tie an fg knot and I check it before each cast but lately I'll go to reel in or set the hook and it breaks with little to no pressure. So gonna make the switch to mono and was wonder if an fg knot works just as well or should I consider a different knot for mono to shock?.. I only asked here cause I know most of you guys use mono for distance

Edited by fishychris

Posted (edited)

I'm presuming you are using conventional and Not Spinning gear.

FG is excellent running line of braid,  to a mono or flouro connection. However I would not use it mono to mono or flouro 

Mono to mono , running line to shock 

bimini twist to no name are the ones I like and use.

Edited by DaBig2na

I use an Albright as a heaver knot.  It's fairly easy to tie compared to some others and after I figured how to cinch it down right have not had any breaking or slipping problems.

Mono running line to heavier mono shock leader, try the blob/grinner knot..

( Blob knot )

I use the Albright.

But, I think what knot you use should be dependent on what knot YOU can easily and quickly tie, in the howling wind, pouring rain or darkness. 

The braid was something I brought when dicks had a ridiculous sale. It's seaguar kainzen. I had a ton leftover from what I brought . I'm sure if I switch braids it would work better but now that I moved to NC I'm not plugging lime I did in Jersey. I seem to hold bottom much easier using mono due to the stretch. I'm using conventionals and I'm sure I'll load one rod with a different braid once the sharks show up just to get more line on the reel. Currently using the Alberto knot for mono to mono just cause it's easy to tie. But might give the Albright a try also because it's similar and slightly smaller. Thanks all for the recommendations.