ksong

big durm using 13' Black Hole Surf II Heavy out of Hatteras, NC

37 posts in this topic

Over 8', shipping gets insanely expensive.  The video doesn't even hint at a flat spot on the BH rod, so I don't see a problem.  Local anglers may be conservative, but plenty of tourists come to Cape Hatteras with fewer preconceived notions of rod splits.  

nice, thick rod

How many "tourists" are going to pay more than 200.00 on a Drum Rod?

Tuna--What's wrong,man? Some Yankee stand on your beach? More choices is a good thing,and you can still buy what you wanta buy.

Some folks are just simply stuck on 1 piece or nothing . . . Just reminds me of myself a decade ago :howdy:

Yeah.  The state of the art has advanced a lot.  Some people just aren't current on it, and that's their business.

You rarely know the rod is two-piece while casting and fighting. West Coast fishermen are adamant to use  one-piece10' rods for casting irons while East Coast fishermen start to accept two-piece surf rods.

I was standing at the point when Shawn caught that drum, noticed him because he had both wader straps over one shoulder. He had a   Pretty good cast as well. I fish the old daiwa ballistic rods, which are 3 piece, seen a bunch of the CTS rods down there, but I think they are 70/30 split. Think it is great we have so many nice rods these days. If you have a good product, and stand behind it folks will fish it.  Scott

Here is another picture of 50 lb drum by Andrew Silva using 10' Black Hole Surf II Heavy rod out of Virginia Beach.

surfIIheavydrum.jpg

Posted (edited)

Yep. I was there when Shawn caught that drum too. He was at the point. 

Edited by TreednNC

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:16 PM, ksong said:

He used braid.  

not sure bout others, but I found this to me the most surprising factoid in the entire thread

Posted (edited)

If you get a 50/50 rod that casts as well as CTS, I’ll be very surprised. Like I said, I saw Shawn fishing, but didn’t pay attention to the rod. If it was a Black Hole the whole time, then it is impressive, but I can’t say for sure. 

2na makes valid points, whether anyone wants to hear them or not....

Edited by TreednNC

I'd like to hear why you guys think ferrule location affects how "well" (far?) a rod casts. And,so far as personal opinions go, I think you guys are missing a bet by not holding the cts in one hand and the Black Hole in the other. No affiliation or skin in the game, but you don't know what you're missing.

Posted (edited)

Not saying it doesn’t. Just the ones I’ve had the most experience with haven’t casted as well with a 50/50 as the 70/30s. I hope he does well with them. I love options even though I’m thrilled with what I have. #freemarket

Edited by TreednNC