fishoninct

Any fluke around yet?

41 posts in this topic

Its getting better and better slowly, got one 19.5 from shore yesterday. 

On 5/22/2018 at 3:30 PM, Marty said:

I never saw sea robin in this early. We need to start eating them. 

Introduced my Colorado relatives to the delectable tail fillets...quick trip in hot butter in the saute pan, and no one had anything but good things to say. Throw yours back, I'll eat 'em. :)

Out last week mid day and had about 4 short fluke and several short sea bass. My buddy had something nice take his fluke rig and we thought blue as it broke off but when he reeled in was broken up in the braid, swivel and all was gone. Remember to strip a couple feet of braid on occasion and re-tie to avoid this. 

Caught a few shorts on 6 mile yesterday on 40 fow. Nothing off black point, Jordan cove or 2 tree channel area. 

Very tough fluke season so far.

Hi low teaser with gulp

I have one spot that has been producing regularly, but other than that all I can get is 16 inchers, it's been tough for me here in the eastern sound.

9 hours ago, ijuanaspearfish said:

Caught a few shorts on 6 mile yesterday on 40 fow. Nothing off black point, Jordan cove or 2 tree channel area. 

Very tough fluke season so far.

Hi low teaser with gulp

Got 3 keepers at 6-mile on Thursday at slack tide in about 30 minutes. Once the tide picked up we caught about 90 sea robins in the 8-12" range. Couldn't locate anymore fluke. Just happy to get a few keepers 

11 hours ago, FlukeOff said:

Got 3 keepers at 6-mile on Thursday at slack tide in about 30 minutes. Once the tide picked up we caught about 90 sea robins in the 8-12" range. Couldn't locate anymore fluke. Just happy to get a few keepers 

Lol I caught more sea robins than I ever have. Every drop, I had small Robin's taking really large gulp. Almost as long as the fish

5 hours ago, ijuanaspearfish said:

Lol I caught more sea robins than I ever have. Every drop, I had small Robin's taking really large gulp. Almost as long as the fish

Yea, it was really frustrating. I must have got a bad batch of 5" gulp because those baby robins don't even have teeth but they took the tails off about 6 big gulps. I finally switched to squid strips before leaving and trying some other spots. Very disappointed with gulp!

4 hours ago, FlukeOff said:

Yea, it was really frustrating. I must have got a bad batch of 5" gulp because those baby robins don't even have teeth but they took the tails off about 6 big gulps. I finally switched to squid strips before leaving and trying some other spots. Very disappointed with gulp!

thats not good

6 hours ago, FlukeOff said:

If the tail gets bit off your gulp leave the stub of gulp on the hook and add a short curly otter tail to the hook. Works great and lasts through a lot of fish. 

10 hours ago, z-man said:

If the tail gets bit off your gulp leave the stub of gulp on the hook and add a short curly otter tail to the hook. Works great and lasts through a lot of fish. 

Thanks for the tip. I'll give this a shot!

23 hours ago, FlukeOff said:

I get tails bitten off all the time, if you start getting in to robins/seabass/porgy they just suck the tail in and rip it off.  Gulp got softer last year when they changed to clear liquid I think, it possibly has better action but it's definitely not as tough.