boab

L.A. Surf Fishing

27 posts in this topic

I am heading out to LAX for 2 weeks, work, but while I am there I would to try and do some surf fishing.  I know pier fishing is big but since I am used to surf fishing for stripper up here in Maine, I figured I would try my luck on the left coast.

Would anyone have any pointers/tips?  I enjoy targeting specific fish but a tight line is a tight line...

Thanks!!!!

Striper run down that south, but are more the rarity than the rule. You are a little early for the Halibut bite, but could be a possibility as they turn on in May or June. Surf perch are in full swing. I would lean toward bringing lighter gear that can handle a good schoolie striper or med halibut from shore, but can double as a Perch, Croaker and Sand bass.

Thank you telecronista!  I will see if I can get up there, maybe next weekend.  But after doing some research on CA non res fishing license, I may just fish from the piers as it seems to be free doing so.  Otherwise it is almost $45 for a 10 day non res license... F that noise!

Linesideslayer, I found a list that show the piers and what people typically catch and it seems like the Redondo and Venice piers might be where I will be going.

And unfortunately, I have my 10' heaver and my ultra light trout rod and nothing in between.  Probably will bring the 10'.

1 hour ago, boab said:

Thank you telecronista!  I will see if I can get up there, maybe next weekend.  But after doing some research on CA non res fishing license, I may just fish from the piers as it seems to be free doing so.  Otherwise it is almost $45 for a 10 day non res license... F that noise!

There is bait n tackle shop in Thousand Oaks you could call. They would know where the is. I will PM their info.

2 hours ago, telecronista said:

If you have time, drive up to Goleta. Nice Cabezon in those kelp beds. 

Sorry, I meant Gaviota. 

You think the Fishing license fees are bad wait to you see the bible of a reg book one for salt & one for fresh, better get to reading on that plane ride or have you lawyer send you the cliff notes...Well I hope you end up catching and 10' Heaver should be just fine as the surf here can be rough at times and pays to have the longer rod, good luck to you & hope to see a report back after your visit? 

8 hours ago, Linesideslayer said:

You think the Fishing license fees are bad wait to you see the bible of a reg book one for salt & one for fresh, better get to reading on that plane ride or have you lawyer send you the cliff notes...Well I hope you end up catching and 10' Heaver should be just fine as the surf here can be rough at times and pays to have the longer rod, good luck to you & hope to see a report back after your visit? 

Thanks Linesidesslayer!  I think I may stay on the piers as $50 is a little rish for a 10 day.

I would consider spending the $50 and enjoy your time there.  Lots of scenery on the beaches.  Lots of derelicts on piers (present company excluded). :) 

Hey, You'll spend 50 bucks on one meal, why not use the same amount and fish where you would really enjoy yourself...The corbina, and halibut are starting to bite pretty good right now...or as ghostfish slayer said, chase some yellowtail on a boat...Besides, we Californians could use your $50.  ;)  ....

Butch

Surf  & pier fishing in California are pretty humble.  Party boat scene is pretty much a nightmare nowadays depending on the landing. If you really want to fish while you're out there, you might consider a kayak rental in Redondo or Marina Del Rey.  You have a decent chance of catching calico or spotted bay bass, halibut or even bonito or barracuda. Your heaver will be overkill for everything but leopard sharks and larger halibut which are pretty rare.  Stripers are extremely rare off SoCal though there is a pretty decent fishery for them off of some SF Bay area beaches.  Corbina can be fun but that's pretty much a light tackle game.  Surf perch are just an ocean bluegill that rarely get bigger than a quarter pound.  Spotfin croaker will give you a decent fight. If you ask me, just not enough decent sized fish in the surf off SoCal to make it interesting unless you just want to be on the beach anyways. Sleep in & wait for the sun and the boobs to come out.  That's free.  If you haven't already been, Venice is pretty much a human freak show.  Worth a gawk, at least for a while.  22nd Street Seafood Grill & Bar in San Pedro is a pretty decent place to grab a bite & some grog.  Lots of great pics from the old days before they fished the SoCal bight clean. 

3 hours ago, bmac said:

If you really want to fish while you're out there, you might consider a kayak rental in Redondo or Marina Del Rey

Sound advice. If you go this option, bring a Sabiki rig to jig up bait if present, if not get as fresh a bait as you can. Squid or anchovies. Halibut rigs, small selection of salt water curl-tails 4-7inch sizes & maybe a Iron Jig or two. A kayak half day rental is good advice.

On 5/10/2018 at 8:52 AM, bmac said:

Surf  & pier fishing in California are pretty humble.  Party boat scene is pretty much a nightmare nowadays depending on the landing. If you really want to fish while you're out there, you might consider a kayak rental in Redondo or Marina Del Rey.  You have a decent chance of catching calico or spotted bay bass, halibut or even bonito or barracuda. Your heaver will be overkill for everything but leopard sharks and larger halibut which are pretty rare.  Stripers are extremely rare off SoCal though there is a pretty decent fishery for them off of some SF Bay area beaches.  Corbina can be fun but that's pretty much a light tackle game.  Surf perch are just an ocean bluegill that rarely get bigger than a quarter pound.  Spotfin croaker will give you a decent fight. If you ask me, just not enough decent sized fish in the surf off SoCal to make it interesting unless you just want to be on the beach anyways. Sleep in & wait for the sun and the boobs to come out.  That's free.  If you haven't already been, Venice is pretty much a human freak show.  Worth a gawk, at least for a while.  22nd Street Seafood Grill & Bar in San Pedro is a pretty decent place to grab a bite & some grog.  Lots of great pics from the old days before they fished the SoCal bight clean. 

when was the last time you were back?  I'm originally an east coaster and have fished all the places back east.  Fishing here has been very good the last few years.