Any idea what reel is in this pic?

I know it's really next to impossible to be sure, but does anyone have any idea what reel is in this pic? It's believed to have been taken in the early to mid 1950's. It is on a 8 -10' or so Harnell rod. Just looking for some thoughts and opinions. This is my grandfather and I still have the rod which I hope to have restored.

Thanks in advance!

20180429_003122.jpg

Edited by TheOtherOne

LIBBA #2599

MSA #2599

Gateway Striper Club

40 mins ago, jesgord said:

I believe its the elusive VR50. 

My Gramps was a sharpie!

54 mins ago, SC said:

To me it looks like a Mitchell 302/402 or 306/406

I was thinking a Mitchell as well, but I know there were a ton of others that looked pretty similar

49 mins ago, fishbites said:

I was thinking it could be an old Shakespeare

Weren't they mostly reddish in color?

LIBBA #2599

MSA #2599

Gateway Striper Club

52 mins ago, SC said:

To me it looks like a Mitchell 302/402 or 306/406

I second the Mitchell.  My Dad had one in the 50's that he used in the Florida Saltwater. As I remember, it sure looked like this one.

13 hours ago, NJ Dave said:

It also looks to be bailess. 

I'd guess a converts Mitchell or a crack 

I'm very much believing it was a crack now. Apparently my dad believes it was bailed, but it'd be pretty cool to me if he was fishing a bailless...he definitely tossed some big plugs. He also believes he remembers the gear housing being round as well, which would lend itself to the crack if true. Thanks!

5 hours ago, IslandSurf said:

crack 300 possibly a penn 706z.Leaning towards a penn i zoomed in and the handle looks penn to me

Interesting, my good friend thought it looked like a Penn as well based on the handle. Wouldn't it have been a greenie back then though?

LIBBA #2599

MSA #2599

Gateway Striper Club

5 hours ago, TheOtherOne said:

I'm very much believing it was a crack now. Apparently my dad believes it was bailed, but it'd be pretty cool to me if he was fishing a bailless...he definitely tossed some big plugs. He also believes he remembers the gear housing being round as well, which would lend itself to the crack if true. Thanks!

Interesting, my good friend thought it looked like a Penn as well based on the handle. Wouldn't it have been a greenie back then though?

Just fyi, Penn did not start making spinners until the mid 60's

the human race has proved darwins theory of evolution wrong. we let the dumb survive. 

• 2 weeks later...