jsbergen

Van Staal VR150 problem/advice please

12 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I have a VR150 bought new over the winter. I’ve only used it 2-3 times. Reel is very smooth and functions fine until I go to fish it or there is any tension at all put on it. As soon as I tie on my plug and make my cast the reel becomes extremely hard to crank. I’ve had a van staal tech look at it off of the rod and he said it was fine. What are you guys thinking the problem could be? Thanks in advance for any help in this matter. 

could you post a video or something , hard to imagine that i would be hard to crank with just a plug. 

It becomes stiff as soon as tension is introduced.  When the plug is retrieved In water is when it becomes very stiff. 

i do not know if you still have the bail or bailess,,,

1. but try to have a someone hold the line to the side, so that you can reel the reel to retrieve the line without the line going through the line roller, to see if it hard to retrieve or not. This is to rule our line roller or bailess kit roller.

2. have the bail close,, have someone try to put force on the spool(light pressure on the top of spool while you try to retrieve line), this is to check gear issue .

2a.have the bail close,, have someone try to pull on the spool (pull out with light pressure on the top of the spool , while you try to retrieve line) , this is to check gear issue.

4 hours ago, jsbergen said:

Hello all,

I have a VR150 bought new over the winter. I’ve only used it 2-3 times. Reel is very smooth and functions fine until I go to fish it or there is any tension at all put on it. As soon as I tie on my plug and make my cast the reel becomes extremely hard to crank. I’ve had a van staal tech look at it off of the rod and he said it was fine. What are you guys thinking the problem could be? Thanks in advance for any help in this matter. 

Did the tech open the reel and look in side or he just cranked the handle as you did with out any tension on it and it worked fine, you should have put the reel on a rod tied your line to something and reel and and pull your self to what you tied to.

I am not certain if the tech opened the reel or what because I was not present at the moment ( ship bottom NJ shop). Also, I should have brought the reel in with the rod setup but I was not aware of the exact issue at that moment. Im really agravated about this considering the $ I put out for it. I had my neighbor, Marc Fischer verify that there was definetly an issue because this is my first VS. I guess ill have to make a warranty claim but I wanted to see what folks on here had to say. I appreciate all of the feedback and I hope others will comment with any other thoughts. 

5 hours ago, avet4life said:

i do not know if you still have the bail or bailess,,,

1. but try to have a someone hold the line to the side, so that you can reel the reel to retrieve the line without the line going through the line roller, to see if it hard to retrieve or not. This is to rule our line roller or bailess kit roller.

2. have the bail close,, have someone try to put force on the spool(light pressure on the top of spool while you try to retrieve line), this is to check gear issue .

2a.have the bail close,, have someone try to pull on the spool (pull out with light pressure on the top of the spool , while you try to retrieve line) , this is to check gear issue.

I have the bail on mine. Thanks for your help, sir. 

Posted (edited)

There is a good video on YT that shows how easy a full breakdown of the VR is, maybe you should break the reel down and look for obvious reasons.  I would like to know what you find, I am about to pull the trigger and get one, but hate to hear stories like this for the coin they cost.  good luck

Edited by copycat

when the bearings are damage on the line roller it gets stiff to reel in. try that

If you registered it, you can always send it back to Tulsa, tho' you may not see it back for awhile.

I'd check it out per the above or go back to Fisherman's Headquarters w/yr rod, if was really the VS tech & they just did a quick & dirty, I'd complain to VS ....

My money is on the line roller bearing too. Just had the same issue with my older stradic. Reel spun flawlessly unless under load. I couldn't imagine that bearing causing so much friction. Replaced it. Smooth as silk again.