InvokeFifth

Power Pro break offs

40 posts in this topic

I only use Fireline 14lb. & 20lb. from Breezy to Montauk. I have no issues landing Gorilla blues on 14lb. test Fireline with a 40lb. leader.

Power pro is great but as I am a googan and spool my own reels I over spooled which lead to break offs and windknots i learned 

I had this happen a little bit ago with 20lb pp, I was tightening a knot and the line snapped. At first I thought it was a bad knot but when I looked at it the line snapped about 3” above the knot. I’ve started switching to 832 and spiderwire I find its a lot better quality.

I am a PP user since the product came out. A few suggested PP slick, but I would highly encourage you to stay away from slick. I will not even let my charters use it if they have it on their reel. in my opinion slick is better off in the waste basket. Do you store you PP around the tip of the rod?  If you do that is more than likely why you are having breakoffs. PP will develop a flat spot if stored around the tip. This flat spot becomes a weak spot and will break. Thus the mysterious PP breakoffs. Store the leader around the tip, not the pp. Good luck.

10 mins ago, Billwetzel said:

I am a PP user since the product came out. A few suggested PP slick, but I would highly encourage you to stay away from slick. I will not even let my charters use it if they have it on their reel. in my opinion slick is better off in the waste basket. Do you store you PP around the tip of the rod?  If you do that is more than likely why you are having breakoffs. PP will develop a flat spot if stored around the tip. This flat spot becomes a weak spot and will break. Thus the mysterious PP breakoffs. Store the leader around the tip, not the pp. Good luck.

What specifically is it about Power Pro Slick that you don't like?

12 mins ago, Billwetzel said:

Thanks for the great tip Bill!

Re:slick. I have personally tested it three times each and every time I had loops, knots, and many breakoffs. So I probably got about 120 hours of testing on it. Beyond that I have had many customers come out with me using slick. Lots of them were swearing by it. But I would say 85percent of the slick customers experienced failure during the charter.  Therefore I do not allow slick during my charters any longer. Beyond that I can put the line in between my fingers. Rub my fingers back and forth and the line comes apart. So in my view it belongs in the waste basket. 

I had the same break off issues with PP 20 and 30#.  Terrible - broke off during hook ups.  I use suffix 832 now and find it strong and easy to work with

51 mins ago, Billwetzel said:

Re:slick. I have personally tested it three times each and every time I had loops, knots, and many breakoffs. So I probably got about 120 hours of testing on it. Beyond that I have had many customers come out with me using slick. Lots of them were swearing by it. But I would say 85percent of the slick customers experienced failure during the charter.  Therefore I do not allow slick during my charters any longer. Beyond that I can put the line in between my fingers. Rub my fingers back and forth and the line comes apart. So in my view it belongs in the waste basket. 

Sounds like damn good reasoning to me.  Thanks for the information.