InvokeFifth

Power Pro break offs

40 posts in this topic

Been using also from day 1, don't know what reel your using but if you went all this time with out any problems, might say a bad batch of line. 

Just for the bell of it over the winter l picked Daiwa J8  some 10 - 20 and 30lb slicker then standard PP, so far liking the line cast good and no wax or that crud left on the guides.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

13 hours ago, InvokeFifth said:

On three occasions with 2 different set-ups while casting a lure my line snapped. The guides are perfect and I didn’t notice fraying. I’ve been fishing for 50 years and never had this issue. The only constant was using Power Pro braid. First 2 times it happened was 20lb and this morning 30lb. 

Anyone else can experiencing this issue?

Looks like I’ll be changing the line on my reels. Any suggestions?

Thanks. 

‘I don’t know what it is about powerpro. I’ve caught a lot of fish but I’ve broken off too many times. I don’t get it. I had one spool that was pretty good and then last year I had a bunch more Breakoffs after a new spool.

They must have the most powerful marketing and sales team. I go into many stores and they are looking to shove powerpro and don’t want to hear questions about other lines. 

Im back to spiderwire stealth this year. 

Wow, some are still having this issue. Years ago, when this break off thing first occurred I stopped using it. There are better lines out there my friends.

21 hours ago, InvokeFifth said:

On three occasions with 2 different set-ups while casting a lure my line snapped. The guides are perfect and I didn’t notice fraying. I’ve been fishing for 50 years and never had this issue. The only constant was using Power Pro braid. First 2 times it happened was 20lb and this morning 30lb. 

Anyone else can experiencing this issue?

Looks like I’ll be changing the line on my reels. Any suggestions?

Thanks. 

Power Pro is known for mysterious breakoffs.  I switched  to Spiderwire Stealth about 9 years ago and never looked back.

sb

At the time of purchase I had my Boca 50 freshly spooled with PP and went to a near by spot. The blue’s were as thick as one would ever want. One cast after another type thick. I lost one sp and said duh, put a wire leader on. I did . Lost another sp. hmmmm?? I’m sitting there scratching my head.... 5 sp’s And an Ava later I went back down and had bought more sp’s. Lost two more then  lost my cool. I marched back to the truck stripped the spool and re spooled with kanzen I had on a smaller reel. Breakoffs stopped. Long story short,  it cost me almost $100 In lures and a hell of a lot of cussing. Never again will I use pp. 

Its been 3 years and I have all my rods spooled with spiderwire and absolutely love it. Blue camo and the white are my colors of choice.  

I personally stay away from super slick as I’ve had many issues with super slick getting really bad wind knots and making it virtually impossible to undo it. Now with the power pro issue, I’ve been using power pro for about 10 years now and have never had that issue with the line. I generally replace it every season though as i don’t trust line  to go for more than a year. Always better to be safe than sorry. Check all guides and the tip for any cuts or sharp points that may be cutting the line as you cast.

On 5/3/2018 at 8:24 PM, aae0130 said:

Suffix ha the same issue years back. It is the reason why PP got on the map.

First im hearing of suffix having a problem in the past. 

I have been using PP exclusively for a few years now and had zero issues. Guess I am just having better luck than I thought.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Buckscorider said:

First im hearing of suffix having a problem in the past. 

Some years back Larry Dahlberg (tv host of the Hunt for Big Fish) switched from suffix to PP. He said it was because of mysterious break offs. 

Edited by aae0130

3 hours ago, aae0130 said:

Some years back Larry Dahlberg (tv host of the Hunt for Big Fish) switched from suffix to PP. He said it was because of mysterious break offs. 

Didn't know. Thanks.

On 5/3/2018 at 8:24 PM, aae0130 said:

Suffix ha the same issue years back. It is the reason why PP got on the map.

Power pro was on the map in the 90s

I only remember suffix braid with their performance braid.

And power pro was already the number one.

I started using braid when fenwick iron thread came out.....and I don't think suffix was a thing yet....at least not in bass pro or cabelas.  I think that was 99 or 2000.....power pro and iron thread were the only two options......

The fenwick was 40$ for 150 yards I think