FunkyBunker

May 2018 Fishing Reports

899 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Goldy said:

So this would explain the wierd action towards the end of the night after a re tie.  The excitement must have gotten to me.  Wtf is wrong with me.  

Totally missed the last eye.   Wacky. 

AF3AA911-1FEF-4E82-BC1F-AD7E357BB513.jpeg

That's a major malfunction. Good thing you caught it before the next fish. 

He is at the Block; looking for a rock to swim too...:)

27 mins ago, Lou T said:

He is at the Block; looking for a rock to swim too...:)

Mexico first then the rock. In the meantime learning Chinese and Spanish...

12 mins ago, levari said:

Mexico first then the rock. In the meantime learning Chinese and Spanish...

You should learn Spanish before you go to Mexico not after  :witty:

5 hours ago, fishless said:

:laugh: 

I made the decision to move out front last night for a change of scenery.  Other than running into fellow SOL'er Ed White, which is always a pleasure, I was entertained with fish so small I didn't have the heart to tag em.  Wasn't a skunk and I did downsize the gear in anticipation of much smaller fish.  Just didn't expect everyone of em to be THAT small.  But it wasn't a skunk so there's that.

smaller than my boot?

1 min ago, Master Debaiter said:

You should learn Spanish before you go to Mexico not after  :witty:

Too late, I already bought the tickets...oh well, I guess I will need an interpreter to catch roosters...

2 hours ago, MCNJFisher said:

Does anyone know what kind of fish this is? I found it washed up on the beach yesterday. 

IMG_4063.jpg

100% and "ocean pout" or a "conger eel" as it's commonly called, although it's not a true conger.

That fish is found in much deeper water on wrecks and structure; surely it's party boat bycatch or drag netter discard.

37 mins ago, levari said:

Too late, I already bought the tickets...oh well, I guess I will need an interpreter to catch roosters...

Take P10 with for interpretation....enjoy your trip, tight lines 

Finally found the good chunk bite, but of course cracked guide tip makes its appearance at the worst time possible. Go back to the truck and replace the tip, rig back up, first cast there goes my rig  again, turns out there was w cracked guide too lol. Goe get the plug rod but they wanted nothing to do with artificials unfortunately. 

Went out back MoCo this morning. Plenty of boats out all in a bunch. No birds working, neither were the fish.

Last day for me for a while. Surgery Friday and no lifting anything over 10 pounds for a month. That should be OK cause I usually catch the little guys or nothing.

2 hours ago, TopwaterPete said:

100% and "ocean pout" or a "conger eel" as it's commonly called, although it's not a true conger.

That fish is found in much deeper water on wrecks and structure; surely it's party boat bycatch or drag netter discard.

I've heard them called "congo eels" but not conger.

Out front this morning and had a handful of schoolies on a SP. Couldn’t have asked for a nicer weather day. A few birds and dolphins feeding a couple hundred yards out.

2 hours ago, IsmailG said:

Finally found the good chunk bite, but of course cracked guide tip makes its appearance at the worst time possible. Go back to the truck and replace the tip, rig back up, first cast there goes my rig  again, turns out there was w cracked guide too lol. Goe get the plug rod but they wanted nothing to do with artificials unfortunately. 

same thing happened to me on my first trio to Montaulk yearsa ago lost somw good wood before I had to walk back to the lot go to the tacle shop and get a new tip of course the bite was good   Live & Learn

7 hours ago, Hook 62 said:

That's a major malfunction. Good thing you caught it before the next fish. 

Yeah.. god knows how I caught fish on that.. I can tell you line took a beating..