FunkyBunker

May 2018 Fishing Reports

899 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Black Flag said:

Hit the beach out front in OC. Fished though the storm and was rewarded with a PB on a bunker chunk. Weighed just over 25lbs on the Boga. The 2 other guys with me each caught one over 20. A good night in some bad weather. 

20180515_211629.jpg

Nice fish bud,

Way to brave the storm & put your time in.

I’m jealous!

JD

I was out front monmouth county last night from 12-3 outgoing. Storm was pretty much over. I fished off a jetty and the conditions were great. Little bit of cabbage in the water, but not bad.. one hit all night, very disappointing with the new moon and all. I'll be back out today at some point. Happy to see some nice fish off the surf!

8 hours ago, Frugal Fisherman said:

Congratulations...the mobile version is füct though

It's been reported and Tim is working on it.  But Congratulations

1 hour ago, Jerseypride said:

I was out front monmouth county last night from 12-3 outgoing. Storm was pretty much over. I fished off a jetty and the conditions were great. Little bit of cabbage in the water, but not bad.. one hit all night, very disappointing with the new moon and all. I'll be back out today at some point. Happy to see some nice fish off the surf!

Same exact results

Out back Moco last night 8:45 - 12:20.  Got out there as the rain was dying down but watched the sky light up with lighting for the first few hours.  Got 5 schoolies between 8-12" and 1 9" fluke. All on the small 2-3" bunker colored swim shad and in shallow water.  All the fish were caught on the slack tide at the end of the outgoing.  I had small schoolies swimming around me and I got to see bloodworms wiggling around me too.  I heard fish surfacing all over (definitely not bunker either) sporadically the entire time I was out.  I tried throwing larger plugs like the 15S SPs, metal lips, BTs, and darters in deeper water because I heard more substantial splashes in the channel but I could get any hits.  It seemed like the only fish I could catch were smallies working a very slow retrieve with the 2-3" swim shad however It seemed like there were a few guys chunking in a deeper section of the channel pulling decent sized fish (couldn't see if they were blues or stripers) but they were pulling less frequently. 

45 mins ago, MCNJFisher said:

Out back Moco last night 8:45 - 12:20.  Got out there as the rain was dying down but watched the sky light up with lighting for the first few hours.  Got 5 schoolies between 8-12" and 1 9" fluke. All on the small 2-3" bunker colored swim shad and in shallow water.  All the fish were caught on the slack tide at the end of the outgoing.  I had small schoolies swimming around me and I got to see bloodworms wiggling around me too.  I heard fish surfacing all over (definitely not bunker either) sporadically the entire time I was out.  I tried throwing larger plugs like the 15S SPs, metal lips, BTs, and darters in deeper water because I heard more substantial splashes in the channel but I could get any hits.  It seemed like the only fish I could catch were smallies working a very slow retrieve with the 2-3" swim shad however It seemed like there were a few guys chunking in a deeper section of the channel pulling decent sized fish (couldn't see if they were blues or stripers) but they were pulling less frequently. 

You answered you own question....seems like they were on worms. Great report, congrats on your success.

Gave it a shot, out front, MoCo, from 10:30-11:30 am. Light rain. Light wind. Water looked good. Some salad in the water, but much better than yesterday. Outgoing tide. Not a bump! Surprised me, as I would have bet there were fish just ready to jump on my lures. 

Posted (edited)

57 mins ago, saltyh2ofly said:

You answered you own question....seems like they were on worms. Great report, congrats on your success.

Ahhhh great point.  Second spot I hit yesterday I could see swirls and splashes on top but couldn’t come tight with anything. Maybe a worm hatch with the moon?

Here is the weakie that saved me from the skunk 

39F93FB6-4736-40C9-A7BC-E16F43F9C282.jpeg

Edited by 555jkeegs

MoCo out back on Monday, end of the incoming begining of the outgoing, found some bunker and started seeing spalshes, but couldn't connect. Turned out to be sea robbins all over the place.  

MoCo out front Tuesday,incoming to outgoing, hooked 4, landed 3 with lots of taps in between.  biggest was a fat 26 incher. 

Posted (edited)

Ran into the worms the other night as well, but all my hits were on the swim shad.  Do you guys use anything specific to try to match the worms?

Edited by bdawk

4 hours ago, bdawk said:

Ran into the worms the other night as well, but all my hits were on the swim shad.  Do you guys use anything specific to try to match the worms?

I'm sure someone will disagree, but unless you're fly fishing, it's pretty much impossible to match with spinning gear

8 mins ago, daves745t said:

I'm sure someone will disagree, but unless you're fly fishing, it's pretty much impossible to match with spinning gear

What about a teaser?

18 mins ago, Ripnowell45 said:

What about a teaser?

Maybe a casting egg with a small worm imitation. 

Was out this morning and once again found another 20 inch fish and lost another small one.  Water was looking great and a touch warmer, but still not finding anything with size.  Waiting on those southern fish to become yankee's.  Back at it in the morning.

Fished out front moco yesterday morning and 2-4 today. Decent size bluefish off of SP minnow, but no striper yet. Gonna give the bucktail a try tomorrow.