FunkyBunker

May 2018 Fishing Reports

899 posts in this topic

Put it some time tonight. Went straight home to grab my gear and head out all OC.

First spot looked grest. The tide was end of outgoing, connected with a  white / chartreuse zoom fluke on a 3/4 oz jig head.

Had some kayakers move in which was cool to see. A few older gentleman getting after it. One said water was 55*. Decided to back out and let them have their space. Was time to hit some other spots looking for more water. Everything looked super fishy today. Ended up with some skunks after the first spot. 

Went out front to find some structure I wanted to check while Google map fishing. Some very clean water. Looked great. Just no body home. Wind kicked up and made it a bit hard to keep the belly out of the line. 

Called it a night. Will be back after it Friday.

Tight lines. 

OC out front 630 to 830 solid action on fish to 24" on mag darter/teaser combo, several double headers. 

Posted (edited)

Out front MoCo 730-930 tonight top of the incoming. Nice night for a walk. Was definitely overdressed thinking the temp would drop after sunset...it didn’t.  Threw an sp, md, swim shad, and even a 3oz pencil without a touch. Then got a hit on a sand eel. I think it’s a tsunami holographic. Have had it for a while with little usage until now. Actually, it’s a Vision. My last one. Couldn’t remember the name. 

Was prob a 20-22 incher with some girth to it to hold off the skunk. 

Edited by SeaZen 21

Posted (edited)

I have been putting my time in and grinding hard with nearly ZERO results lately. If I go west, “they” killed em east. If it went off in OC, I was in MoCo.... so on and so forth. Tonight though.... FINALLY!!!! Took a trip out back MoCo 9:30pm-2:00am. Caught one fish which was about 32” (10lbs on boga) which was released. Fish were feeding on bunker, but they disappeared and so did the fish.

I ended up switching to another spot at about midnight as a last ditch effort. Fished for a little bit and finally threw in the towel. I said to myself “I’m walking back to the truck and am going to listen and look”. Shortly after I start walking I hear bunker so decide to take “one last cast” and boom, 20lber. Release it and take another cast. Take two cranks and bam! Lol I had fish approx 15-20lbs on almost every cast for about an hour. Turned out the bass pinned a school of bunker against the beach. On the walk back to the truck I kept finding live adult bunker  flopping on the beach. Clearly they wanted away from something. Lol best part... not another fisherman in sight! Dedication finally payed off. All fish were released. Here is a pic of one of the fish.

4BFE34B7-D9C2-4802-B1AA-606CC9B4BA39.jpeg

Edited by Pma531

2 hours ago, Pma531 said:

I have been putting my time in and grinding hard with nearly ZERO results lately. If I go west, “they” killed em east. If it went off in OC, I was in MoCo.... so on and so forth. Tonight though.... FINALLY!!!! Took a trip out back MoCo 9:30pm-2:00am. Caught one fish which was about 32” (10lbs on boga) which was released. Fish were feeding on bunker, but they disappeared and so did the fish.

I ended up switching to another spot at about midnight as a last ditch effort. Fished for a little bit and finally threw in the towel. I said to myself “I’m walking back to the truck and am going to listen and look”. Shortly after I start walking I hear bunker so decide to take “one last cast” and boom, 20lber. Release it and take another cast. Take two cranks and bam! Lol I had fish approx 15-20lbs on almost every cast for about an hour. Turned out the bass pinned a school of bunker against the beach. On the walk back to the truck I kept finding live adult bunker  flopping on the beach. Clearly they wanted away from something. Lol best part... not another fisherman in sight! Dedication finally payed off. All fish were released. Here is a pic of one of the fish.

:th:  Nice

Posted (edited)

A good way to start off the month.   Was on bass for three hours with some others.  Bass to 25# on boga. Left them biting.   

I echo the post above.   Bunker was getting pushed in against us.  Every fish was gorgeous.   Posted some and one has tape measure on it.   

Gorgeous night out and i swear i saw some red moon. 

All swam away safe except one the wife requested at 29”.   I told her only fish of the year as we reached our take home quota limit for 2018

78530245-2FE1-4916-AADF-DB64F7507E66.jpeg

EB7D3BAC-4432-4BB1-B94E-B9A570E7CFC6.jpeg

Edited by Goldy

Posted (edited)

Good job boys!   From the yak perspective, there’s a nice body of fish out there, plenty of 30+” for everyone.   My fishfinder was lit up like a Christmas tree at some spots.  

Better get stripes now cuz with the “heat wave”, the ravenous yellow eyed demons will be swarming in any day now.  

Edited by GeoffT

So this would explain the wierd action towards the end of the night after a re tie.  The excitement must have gotten to me.  Wtf is wrong with me.  

Totally missed the last eye.   Wacky. 

AF3AA911-1FEF-4E82-BC1F-AD7E357BB513.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Fished the bay with a couple of friends outgoing tide.....bunker around us. Had about 20 bass up to 20 pounds all on plugs. If anyone finds a white PPW Danny please give it back. lol. Lost it to a really nice fish 

Edited by Master Debaiter

4 hours ago, Pma531 said:

On that Redfin? About time you got into em!!! :poopfan:

Nicely done @Pma531 and @Goldy. Bites like that don't happen down this way. 

Got out front CmC today 445-625am. Low Low tide today. Kept the sluggo on for a few cast, switched to ghost black Mag Darter, then 6" Fin-S on 3/4oz JH. Couldn't find anything. 2 other guys eventually showed up and the one guy started putting on a shorty clinic. Dude was pulling in shorts every other casts for the 45 mins i saw him, with a couple of doubles and one bigger 24"-26" fish. All hitting close. Finally got 1 micro on the Fin-S and changed to 1.5oz crippled herring and got one 17" then thought I had something bigger but was just a 15" foul hooked in the back. 3 shorts is better than none. Stopped to chat with the guy, an older gentleman said he was from the Poconos, and joked that he had the magic plug today. Turns out it was just a chrome mullet Mag Darter with a teaser on top, short casts and everything was hitting within 20yds for him. It's the most action i have seen so far. Back out tomorrow.