FunkyBunker

May 2018 Fishing Reports

710 posts in this topic

70's and sunny. Let's go. 

Try to keep other conversations, inquires, and rants in the appropriate threads. If you have a question about something that would make a good thread on it's own, please start one.

For all of you new to the site, this is how you should make your report. It's up to you how much information you give, but please keep it within the rules and no spot-burning or specific locations.

Out front (oceanfront) or In the back (rivers, bays, and inlets),

Conditions

What you were fishing for,

What you were using,

What you caught. 

You can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no.

The location terms to use are..........
Monmouth County
Ocean County
Atlantic County
Cape May County
North Jersey for the Hudson and other backwaters.
County name plus "In the back" for Inlets, Rivers, and Bays.

Posted (edited)

Slightly off topic but the shad are everywhere from Trenton to the NY state line in the Delaware !

SRSA club trip was this weekend. Froze our arses off the whole time but had a lot of fun.

Watch for our own Rich Swiss doing an American Shad episode of On the Waters TV show to be aired next season.

Edited by Sudsy

I'm tired of catching Shad, it's been really good this year though. Might head down to the surf tomorrow after work to see if I can get in on these small Bass. My buddies fished Sunday evening and caught a load of them up to about 5 lbs

Tried out front MoCo this AM, 4 til about 8. 

2 bumps and 1 dink to show for it. Ocean was like glass.  Some guy in shorts showed up around 630, he had his feet in the water, he lasted about 10 mins lol. 

Starting off the new month with a positive outing.  Much nicer out there this morning then yesterday with sunshine and warm hands.  Moved to the north today and walked a good bit of sand with gin clear water, a light surf, and west wind.  Finished up with 7 and had a half dozen other bumps.  Nothing bigger then 23 inches, but using the 7 foot rod its enjoyable.  They went after the white and blue eel.  Might be able to get back out again late afternoon.

May 1, 2018  23 inches.JPG

Went outback Moco this morning from 5-630. Man was that water low. Was able to wade out about 50yrds out and still only thigh deep in water. Started to sink in the mud and decided to not chance it being alone. The skunk continues. 

Out front, MoCo, this morning. Ran into MC55 and echo his report. Finished with 5, all under 20". Beautiful morning out there. Got mine on the cotton cordell blueback. Guess these fish like blue right now, considering Mike was getting his on the blue sand eel. Hopefully, the bigger fish will start moving in, but we definitely need bait fish to show up for that to happen. 

As an aside, one of the fish I got this morning was not a hell of a lot bigger than the lure! I had a talk with him about gluttony, before releasing him! 

Posted (edited)

1st trip out front this year , 1 rat on the hydro minnow and lost one in the dark. 1st light bunker were in casting range no takers on the pencil but my buddy got one on a surfster. 

RAT.jpg

Edited by nchit

1 hour ago, GeoffT said:

Beautiful morning.

20180501_052807.jpg

20180501_053712.jpg

Is that the same fish? Lol.. JK

nice job

6 hours ago, MC55 said:

Nothing bigger then 23 inches, but using the 7 foot rod its enjoyable.

May 1, 2018  23 inches.JPG

A 7ft baitcaster is what ive been using since December. I haven't been able to find anything much over keeper size so it made sense to me to downsize rods. I get better casts for lighter lures with the 7ft over 9ft

1 hour ago, JMB said:

Is that the same fish? Lol.. JK

nice job

I did get to touch that same fish the other night.  

Had high hopes to head down tonight but traffic was ridiculous. Decided just to go home 

1 hour ago, MikedNJ said:

Had high hopes to head down tonight but traffic was ridiculous. Decided just to go home 

Same here.  I thought it was a Friday afternoon  it's getting worse and worse  and summers not here yet. 

4-8 out front nomoco. one at 18" for me. He hit a 4in swim shad and hit it pretty aggressively.  saw a number of guys out there catching around the same size however the guy next to me pulled out a 15# bass on a tiny swim shad.