luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - May 2018

202 posts in this topic

super slow down here in lower delaware...even short bass are hard to come by..did manage to catch a 22in flounder while throwing soft plastic to small bass in the wash

9 hours ago, BLilly said:

We're they having problems with people setting up 10 rods and eating up a quarter mile of beach? Just curious as to why they implemented the new 3 rods per person rule.

Does that really matter?  Already a low limit of vehicles allowed out on the north section or south section anyways.  Should be plenty of room really.

If they are going to allow more vehicles out then I can see the reason.

2 hours ago, allen sklar said:

Well there may be fish somewhere but they are way smarter than me and Bill. Nothing for us this past week, we even split up a couple days to increase our chances.....No one I spoke to on the beach this past week had caught anything....

It baffles me how different the bites can be between the north end and south end and there isn't much distance between.

Either that or we are just catching all the black drum heading north.

28 mins ago, DerrickT said:

Does that really matter?  Already a low limit of vehicles allowed out on the north section or south section anyways.  Should be plenty of room really.

If they are going to allow more vehicles out then I can see the reason.

Completely agree with you. Just trying to find some kind of reasoning for the new rule. Doesn't really affect me as I don't fish more than three rods at a time unless the wife is with me and I'll throw a couple more out.

Fished from 9:00 am till 3:00 pm today 12 skates checked lines every 15 minutes. If you didn't have a bite in 15 minutes you were fishing with no bait due to the crabs.

On 5/3/2018 at 4:10 PM, allen sklar said:

Due to the deep ruts created driving on the upper beach the dump truck used to remove the dug up remains of the old back road is trying to help by driving the surf line but the unintended result is millions of crushed sand fleas washing into the surf apparently killing the fish bite for all the fishermen I know. For every action there is a reaction...

Ah, so that's why I...I thought somebody dumped their bait, but then noticed it was quite alot.  Fished Friday and Saturday, nothing but a skate for me, then the grass rolled in....

Fished 4 hours Friday evening in the wind and 8 hours Saturday morning to afternoon.  4 rods, 1-18" blue.  bunker, fleas, mullets, squid....No bumps, no misses.

On 5/3/2018 at 4:10 PM, allen sklar said:

Due to the deep ruts created driving on the upper beach the dump truck used to remove the dug up remains of the old back road is trying to help by driving the surf line 

snipped....

ADS_9049.jpg

ADS_9053.jpg

ADS_9054.jpg

The incident is upsetting. The fleas are not crushed but dead! Dead fleas as far as your eyes can see along the beach shoreline. Coupled that with multiple tracks, created by this monstrous Truck, that crisscross the upper and lower section of the beach creating more softer sands and a trap to smaller vehicles to get stuck.

Excellent idea to preserve ruts in one section of the upper beach and created more for visitors to get trapped. Whoever came up with this idea should be given an award. Venting off....

Fleas are just starting to develop their eggs. Not much fleas to be had in multiple places where we stopped, so No fish caught this time, the opposite of last week where we left them biting.

Since the fleas are a couple inches under the sand there will be no visible signs of crushing, however the pressure created by the tires does kill them. The only reasonable solution is to delay the project until December and Jan when only a few folks (me) use the beach.  I have suggested this to  Park management for what its worth. When the plovers have eggs the beach will close and the project will halt, I doubt they will continue in the summer. As a fisherman my main concern is how the crushed fleas in the wash affect my chances of catching fish, with an unlimited food supply I don't think one's chances of catching something using fleas (my preferred bait) are very good. 

Posted (edited)

We saw the crushed fleas. 

But, we still found plenty of them to fish with. I did notice that the were many more baby fleas than adult fleas so I seriously doubt if the mass death will effect their population in the long run. 

As far as a report not a lot to talk about. 

Water was churning pretty good with a fair amount of grass washing in and riding our lines. Got one nice size little shark and a few skates. 

Edited by Titanty

21 hours ago, BLilly said:

Completely agree with you. Just trying to find some kind of reasoning for the new rule. Doesn't really affect me as I don't fish more than three rods at a time unless the wife is with me and I'll throw a couple more out.

Gotcha. I usually don't go more then 4 unless the kid is with me. The way it's worded though does that mean people under the age of 16 aren't held to that rule?  It does say any licensed angler including life time license holders.  Nothing about under 16.

True. But seriously, how many rods can an under 16 practically manage? 

Is anyone fishing AI/VA right now?  The 4wd in my truck went out and I'm having some trouble making it back.  Luckily im only about 3/4 of a mile from the parking lot. 

On 5/2/2018 at 1:44 AM, kurazy kracka said:

Whew that's risky business with no korkers.

You can say that again, Kracka