luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - May 2018

209 posts in this topic

Fridays rain was pretty brutal but we got lucky to have storms slide on each side of us.  Some good bites the past three days, yesterday was very good for many I talked to.  Caught a surprise croaker yesterday and have seen a much larger run of schoolie stripers the last few days than past years.  One fat striper yesterday was not spawned out, first one i've seen un-spawned this season.   Been through ~20 dozen peelers :hooked:   It was the 9th day in a row for me, that is enough for the season.  We ended it just right with a 51" red with a deformed mouth yesterday evening.  Good luck to the rest of you, it should be hot this week.  

Couple random pics from the weekend.

2018-05-18 17.08.16-1 [800x600].jpg

kyleblack [800x600].jpg

timmyrock [800x600].jpg

dalebacknblack [800x600].jpg

kyleblack2 [800x600].jpg

timnonspawnstriper [800x600].jpg

joshrock2 [800x600].jpg

joshRED [800x600].jpg

2018-05-20 18.03.45 [800x600].jpg

Now I'm back in rainy Florida. Just want to say I enjoyed my time on the beach with everyone I came across Possum your the man for all your help.Not catching anything was not a issue. Seeing and meeting different people was the bounce of my trip. I don't ever need to caught fish to have a good time. Meeting people on the beach is good enough for me. Don't know right now when I will be back up there fishing. Good wetting the lines to everyone.  I will share my pics from down here. If the rain ever stops. God speed to all and enjoy life. 

Edited by VaKeith

Nice trip Krabill and Pilotman was no slouch either. No fishing for me for another three weeks. Poor timing as it will have cooled down by then. Same story every year with me. Sports...

Assateague Drums are still around. We got our third one for this month, 4th one if my son didn't made a quick release on the wash. Find the fleas and you'll find drums too, well after getting around the skates of course. No keeper SB still.20180524_172415-01.thumb.jpeg.2e8dfb4b55939744939d39a6cd4f2146.jpeg

Nice going surffish. We just got back from our trip. We were lucky to land a few stripers and drum, but it was tough. Only saw 4-5 rockfish caught around us the whole trip. Got the big O skunk our last day there.  Wasn't able to fish early morning or evening. Pretty much noon-ish till around 6 every day so it was a grind. A lot of baiting and re-baiting and more re-baiting every 20 minutes. And a lot of Feng Shui-ing every rod that was cast. :D:shrug: Great seeing everyone again. Been a couple years.

2 hours ago, pilotman said:

Nice going surffish. We just got back from our trip. We were lucky to land a few stripers and drum, but it was tough. Only saw 4-5 rockfish caught around us the whole trip. Got the big O skunk our last day there.  Wasn't able to fish early morning or evening. Pretty much noon-ish till around 6 every day so it was a grind. A lot of baiting and re-baiting and more re-baiting every 20 minutes. And a lot of Feng Shui-ing every rod that was cast. :D:shrug: Great seeing everyone again. Been a couple years.

Thanks Pilotman! Great job on your catches too and for having a great other half who share the same passion. :howdy:We must have been there on your last day because we got skunk too and moved to md side and got skunk the same way. After this baiting and rebaiting hardship, I don't know why I feel more energize coming home with or without fish and eagerly awaiting and planning for the next trip. Must be the salty air.:)

Happy memorial day to everyone!

Edited by surffish

I had about 3 hours to fish after work one afternoon this week so I slipped over to AI VA real quick to give the beach one last shot this spring. No dice though - just skates, skates, and more skates. It's looking like it'll be the big goose egg for me from the beach this spring.

Although, my effort from the beach was lacking this year. I blame red drum :). There is no satisfying the thrill you get from a bull red crushing a jig... you just want it to happen over and over again :hooked:

So I made one final trip down the peninsula earlier this week to give it another go at them.

DSCF0462.thumb.JPG.b5a3e941fc899a0125c2c56fa7764965.JPG

DSCF0439.thumb.JPG.46fc95634b4bf212b89d52bea7f30746.JPG  

nice brian!

im thinking drum this next week if a beach stays open... full moon end of may....hmmmmmm

btw, that was me in the truck turning into Walmart last week :)

quick report from this month....

fishing was slow, not worst season slow, but very slow... told many that this felt like a 'drum' season years ago... we get excited over a few fish for the time put in.

I caught a handful of stripers, all in the slot pretty much, smallest was a 39"... largest was a healthy 47" which was released. couple 40-43".  some small blackies too in the mix.

Glad to see a bunch of pals and miss the ones i didn't get to chat to.

43.jpg

little_blackie.JPG

so with the reports coming in, I'm feeling grateful the wife and I got a couple of shorts. now that may is almost over, I am going to note some observations from the pics and ask questions. It looked like most of the pics of of nice rockfish had pretty shallow surf behind them, not so much the deeper troughs I usually target. Am i imagining things or am I seeing things correctly? Thanks!