Noob to stripers.

Rate this topic

andrewdod

Was out in Atlantic County saturday, tried out front for a bit on the jetty, there was noone on the jetty we hung there for about an hour no luck. We then worked our way down to the beach where i found a bar... the wind was brutal we were miserable, and it was hard to keep the lines in the water... the surf just pushed them back in... I don't have waders yet and i was out to my belly button in just swim trunks trying to keep them out. was pretty miserable... before my memorial day weekend trip i will definitely get some. Went out towards the back side of the island and it was a little better... Saw one guy my entire time out... I figure for the time of day and where i chose to fish i'd for sure see some others. Didn't hook up with any stripers, caught a decent sized skate... he wasn't too happy when i threw him back, it lolly gagged around and just floated in about two foot of water for about 5 minutes before he swam off. junk fish is better than no fish. got absolutely no love on any of the lures i tried. I'll try again next weekend. 

40134623290_7ff34876f8.jpg

Well, today was payday... Went into Dick's Sporting Goods looking for some lures.... Walked out with a 10 foot rod that i found in the clearance section for 40 bucks usually goes for $70. Can't complain I know it will help me get the distance I need to get the lures out past the surf to where the fish are. The rod is a 10 foot Shakespeare Ugly Stick "Big Water" paired it up with an Okuma Stratus V sv-65. Spooled it up with 300 yards of 30lb braid. I also picked up some SP Minnows. One in Bone and one in Plurble as recommended.

40374208800_710eb607f9_k.jpg

40374208760_d8d2ac6ad2_k.jpg

41460633564_2569d8b749_k.jpg

Edited by andrewdod

Nice, ugly sticks can be heavy but they're tough as hell and solid rods for the money.

Tight lines this season.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

On 5/17/2018 at 10:51 PM, andrewdod said:

Well, today was payday... Went into Dick's Sporting Goods looking for some lures.... Walked out with a 10 foot rod that i found in the clearance section for 40 bucks usually goes for $70. Can't complain I know it will help me get the distance I need to get the lures out past the surf to where the fish are. The rod is a 10 foot Shakespeare Ugly Stick "Big Water" paired it up with an Okuma Stratus V sv-65. Spooled it up with 300 yards of 30lb braid. I also picked up some SP Minnows. One in Bone and one in Plurble as recommended.

Did you get out yet? Any stories or reports? Theres blues and bass around......not that I can catch em.

Crushed barbs save fish, keep that rod bent! 

2 mins ago, Buckscorider said:

Did you get out yet? Any stories or reports? Theres blues and bass around......not that I can catch em.

Was out the past 2 weekends. I got skunked both times. Just a skate the first time. Playing the tides has been tough with my schedule. The weather has been rough every time the tide is right when I have time. But none the less I still try to go regardless if I can. 

On 5/19/2018 at 9:08 PM, Buckscorider said:

Cool. You can catch at low tide. Go when you can.

Thats the idea. looking forward to Friday, I'm going to get out of bed super early and head out for the majority of the day!

On 5/17/2018 at 10:51 PM, andrewdod said:

Watch those style handles on the okumas they start  to fold in after fishing them a bit. As far as weight on the ugly stiks it doesn't matter if your not used to fishing lighter rods in the surf. You should be fine with what you have.

What's the lure/line rating listed on the ugly stik?

9 hours ago, Sheisty said:

Watch those style handles on the okumas they start  to fold in after fishing them a bit. As far as weight on the ugly stiks it doesn't matter if your not used to fishing lighter rods in the surf. You should be fine with what you have.

What's the lure/line rating listed on the ugly stik?

I believe I can throw up to 4 ounces on that on 30lb mono... however i'm not exactly sure and i will get back to you on that. I'm known to push the limits on stuff so I may stretch it. This rod has a lot of flex in the tip, will surely feel everything.

10 hours ago, Buckscorider said:

Go get em! Report back!

nothing to show but a skunk today! fished hard too 5am-2pm. Got a few bumps on a pink bucktail, but no strikes. Had a flounder that was interested in it follow it up to my feet. He decided to be courteous and wave his tail at me on the way out. Not to mention the mess that the beach was today. inconsiderate rude people everywhere. I did meet one older gentlemen, he was very nice and did give me a few tips. I can't even talk about the best part of the day here... would be considered a spot burn for anyone who was there today lol.

23 hours ago, andrewdod said:

nothing to show but a skunk today! fished hard too 5am-2pm. Got a few bumps on a pink bucktail, but no strikes. Had a flounder that was interested in it follow it up to my feet. He decided to be courteous and wave his tail at me on the way out. Not to mention the mess that the beach was today. inconsiderate rude people everywhere. I did meet one older gentlemen, he was very nice and did give me a few tips. I can't even talk about the best part of the day here... would be considered a spot burn for anyone who was there today lol.

Was the best part wearing a bikini? 

Good you got out, im fishing fresh til monday.

Fishing gulp with that BT?

Crushed barbs save fish, keep that rod bent!