Noob to stripers.

Rate this topic

andrewdod

Hi guys, first post here....

I'm pretty brand new to striper fishing... But I would like to get into it! In past years my main focus has been fluke, and I've found I've been able to nail them down pretty good! But, I've never tried for Stripers. I was fortunate enough to have some lures given to me recently by someone at work who just doesn't have the time to fish anymore. From what I've read they will bite on a lot of different lures, I was thinking about giving it a shot. Any tips are welcome, I'm planning to go down to a jetty I know about and seeing if I have any luck this weekend. I've got four different seven foot poles, I'll be spooling them up w/ 20 lb test as the week goes on. I figured I will try a few with live bait, and also work a lure to see if I can get lucky on one of them.

Not looking to ruffle any feathers, I just want to learn and get on the right track.

Here are the lures I've acquired are they any good or are they just wall art for the garage? Thanks in advance guys.

40008395040_31667ba2b1.jpg

40008394900_c6a23c7609.jpg

]40008394870_25126f499c.jpg

40008394620_4e96bb65b7.jpg

41098698694_12333f244c.jpg

Thanks for the help/advice guys, I do have decent foot wear for the jetty, however I'm sure it could be better. When I stop by the bait shop on my way in I'll be sure to keep my eye out for some more lures and such. Planning on fishing from 5-9 Saturday. Should be right at the outgoing tide change into dead low, hoping I can get lucky. I'll be happy with some shorties if i can get them.

Best of luck on catching stripers. some lures cast farther, some go deeper, and then there’s profile and color. Still learning myself. One tip, keep your hooks sharpy sharp, something I have forgot to do recently, but I believe helps us focused on what we’re trying to do, catch fish. Tight lines. 

Edited by jeffapeikin

1. Those lures are all good for the NJ beaches and alot of folks throw them.

2. Lures are good but if you want to catch more fish and BIGGER fish then youre going to want to use bait as well. Fresh bunker. 

3. Get some 7" & 9" Sluggo soft plastics. These are the best artificial's available and will out fish every other lure. Pink/White during Day. Black during Night. 

4. Your rod length is questionable at 7 foot but thats your decision and most would suggest Braid of Mono. 

5. Fish 2 hours Before and After the high tide. 

On 5/2/2018 at 9:37 PM, jsbergen said:

1. Those lures are all good for the NJ beaches and alot of folks throw them.

2. Lures are good but if you want to catch more fish and BIGGER fish then youre going to want to use bait as well. Fresh bunker. 

3. Get some 7" & 9" Sluggo soft plastics. These are the best artificial's available and will out fish every other lure. Pink/White during Day. Black during Night. 

4. Your rod length is questionable at 7 foot but thats your decision and most would suggest Braid of Mono. 

5. Fish 2 hours Before and After the high tide. 

The plan is to bring four poles, my girlfriend will babysit the bait poles mainly because she just wants to sit and enjoy the beach (and weekends are the only time i can fish and see her so I like to bring her along) and I'm going to throw a lure close by on the fourth pole. Hopefully the bait will attract something to the area and ill snag some on the lure. The 7 footers are what i have right now, I've got one 9 footer but it is beat to hell and nowhere near up to par for fishing, on a budget gonna have to make what I have work.

On 5/2/2018 at 9:53 PM, Sandbar1 said:

Add an sp minnow in bone and one in blurple and a few bucktails as well. You'll be good to go.

I was in dick's sporting goods earlier, they were offering buy 2 get one free on bucktails... you bet i doubled down.

Edited by andrewdod

9 mins ago, andrewdod said:

The plan is to bring four poles, my girlfriend will babysit the bait poles mainly because she just wants to sit and enjoy the beach (and weekends are the only time i can fish and see her so I like to bring her along) and I'm going to throw a lure close by on the fourth pole. Hopefully the bait will attract something to the area and ill snag some on the lure.

I was in dick's sporting goods earlier, they were offering buy 2 get one free on bucktails... you bet i doubled down.

Very cool. May I ask what beach you plan on fishing?  The bite has really started to pick up the last couple days. Hearing of bluefish moving in and a more consistent bass bite. I plan to be fishing fri and saturday atleast becsuse its been a slow season so far with little action. 

On 5/2/2018 at 8:32 PM, andrewdod said:

Well... just checked the weather may be rainy and nasty saturday

Good fishing weather

If you use eclairs in your example, he will get it right away. MikeMc

4 mins ago, jsbergen said:

Very cool. May I ask what beach you plan on fishing?  The bite has really started to pick up the last couple days. Hearing of bluefish moving in and a more consistent bass bite. I plan to be fishing fri and saturday atleast becsuse its been a slow season so far with little action. 

probably brigantine, bout the only spot she willingly goes too. might try to see if she will come outback if she feels up to it. I hope the weather is nice, I don't mind clouds but rain sucks.

9 mins ago, andrewdod said:

The plan is to bring four poles, my girlfriend will babysit the bait poles mainly because she just wants to sit and enjoy the beach (and weekends are the only time i can fish and see her so I like to bring her along) and I'm going to throw a lure close by on the fourth pole. Hopefully the bait will attract something to the area and ill snag some on the lure.