JTR

What’s in the Pipeline at Penn?

61 posts in this topic

"Computer numerically controlled", fine. We'll have to wait to see what the gears are made of.  I wouldn't particularly care if a CNC-controlled gear nobbler was used to make gears out of zinc or potmetal. There are an infinite number of different stainless steels out there. Nobody seems to use marine bronze anymore, so I wouldn't expect that. 

This will, I assume, be announced and displayed at ICAST (when is that, this year, anyway?) and be available in 2019. 

12 hours ago, BrianBM said:

This will, I assume, be announced and displayed at ICAST (when is that, this year, anyway?) and be available in 2019. 

ICAST is something like June 8-11. Which, believe it or not, is in only about three weeks.

On 6/18/2018 at 3:38 PM, Belmo said:

The International baitcasters are manufactured in Philadelphia. 

penninternationalbaitcasting.jpg.jpg

"Were" you mean.

4 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

"Were" you mean.

Yep. I did not know they had been discontinued. I stand corrected.

12 mins ago, Belmo said:

Yep. I did not know they had been discontinued. I stand corrected.

I is really unfortunate that they did discontinue those reels. There were no replacement models put on the market to replace them either.

I don't believe Abu has any one piece machined frame baitcasters to fill that void either.

Didn't the Morrum reels have a one piece frame?  But right now, AFAIK, you're right that there is no such Abu.

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

Didn't the Morrum reels have a one piece frame?  But right now, AFAIK, you're right that there is no such Abu.

I believe the Morrum did have a one piece frame. But, why drop that kind of money on a Morrum which is basically just a lmb reel if you need a reel with more line capacity for big fish?

A 500 size low profile bait caster would be awesome to see from Penn, or at least an upgraded International 975.

There something coming down the pipe line that's not from penn,,,,but it's a penn :eek:

4 mins ago, Zambots said:

I just saw this as well lol, was just going to post this.

Yes penn has some very nice stuff this year but,,,,,I got the last of the big blocks :beatin:

20180625_185905.jpg

Just arrived via FEDEX yesterday, my new Penn Slammer III 5500 - this reel oozes build quality.  Shortly going to spool it with some 15 lb. Trilene Big Game and take it to the beach for the next five days - hope I get good weather for a couple of days of surf fishing and a pier day.  Thinking it will match up pretty well for the time being with my 8' Penn Prevail surf rod.  I noticed the box bottom identifies this reel as PEN-200-SLAIII5500-ver2.  Anyone know what the ver2 signifies?  Thanks, OH

IMG_0976.jpg

25 mins ago, Old Hunter said:

I noticed the box bottom identifies this reel as PEN-200-SLAIII5500-ver2.  Anyone know what the ver2 signifies?

The Penn guys will verify this, but they very slightly retooled the Slammer III after it was released. They replaced a bushing in the line roller with a bearing. My guess, and I should stress that this is just a guess (and that I have no affiliation with Penn, or anyone else in the tackle/fishing business), is that "Ver 2" means that your reel was manufactured after the change. 

And this is good news: the bearing is an improvement. Fish that thing hard.