JTR

What’s in the Pipeline at Penn?

61 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, lonellr said:

I saw a photo of the Spinfisher VI. I've got my eyes on that bad boy!

Spinfisher VI, or International VI? This might be interesting....

54 mins ago, Belmo said:

Spinfisher VI, or International VI? This might be interesting....

Spinfisher VI

10 mins ago, lonellr said:

Spinfisher VI

Spill! :D Where'd ya see it? 

51 mins ago, Belmo said:

Spill! :D Where'd ya see it? 

Haha. Someone was testing it. Saw the photo online.

A Senator 20/0 ?!?!?  Yikes. Just the thing for blackback flounder.  Perhaps meant for the sharks-from-shore guys?  There was a run of some huge black-sideplate Senators a couple of years ago for that market, 16/0 I think.

The Spinfisher V isn't that old, I'm surprised to hear of a VI too.  

On 6/15/2018 at 7:48 PM, BrianBM said:

The Spinfisher V isn't that old, I'm surprised to hear of a VI too.  

It doesn't surprise me that much, despite the fact that the V is a new-ish reel. I think a new model might be an attempt by Penn to correct the issues that gave the reel "mixed" reviews when it came out. To me, these were mostly due to a misunderstanding of the price point of the reel -- people were reviewing it as though it were a $700 super spinner -- but there is no question there were some things said about the reel that were less than laudatory. Maybe this is a try by the good folks at Penn to put that stuff behind us. 

The interesting question to me, if it is true that the VI is coming, is what they are upgrading to differentiate it from the V. I think that the most obvious thing -- the material in the gears -- is probably out, because that would increase the price point of the reel, and that would start to encroach on the Slammer III's neighborhood (and the Slammer III has been a home run, as far as I can tell). I also don't think the drag needs an upgrade, as the drag of the V is one of the reel's undisputed strengths (one of the issues with the reviews of the V when it came out was why Penn would make a reel with drag capabilities that the gearing might not be able to handle. But, as usual, I digress). 

Which leaves the leading candidate -- and again, this is just me talking out of my ass :D -- the sealing: I think upgraded seals could be seen as a very real improvement, but one that would not affect the price that much. Throw in some improved cosmetics, and you have a reel that could be marketed as being better, at keeping all the good stuff, but adding some new stuff that warrants calling it a new model. 

We shall see soon, I guees.

I could be wrong on this, but wasn't the mixed reaction to the V mostly a consequence of some exaggerated boasting by Penn's ad people about how water resistant the reel was?  Wasn't the most-heard complaint (here, anyway) that the blurb on the box was waaay off base?  So your speculation is very reasonable. 

Agree that Penn drags have always been fine, better then fine. I have never had a Penn reel with a bad drag.

49 mins ago, BrianBM said:

I could be wrong on this, but wasn't the mixed reaction to the V mostly a consequence of some exaggerated boasting by Penn's ad people about how water resistant the reel was?  

Yes. That and the gears. I remember the video, which Penn took down, of the reel being used underwater -- that turned out to be a major headache for them. 

What is with the spinner kick at Penn.  How about upgrading the Fathom line or some new model bait casters. Not holding my breath.

Spinner kick?  I dunno for sure, but I'd bet that more spinners are sold, nationwide, then all other reels combined. 

Is the Fathom line now considered obsolete? 

Bait casters ... I could be wrong, too, but doesn't Penn's corporate master (Newell?) also own Abu, too? So Abu may de facto be the entity that does the nifty baitcasters. It wouldn't surprise me if Penn were to drop the International baitcasters, which are (I think, again) the only International reels not made in the USA anyway. Abu's Revo Toro Something Antisalt Monster Eater reels are pretty competitive with recent Lexa, Komodo, and similar reels. (I have hands on experience only with the Lexa). Scoobydoo tore them all down on a carousel awhile ago, and seemed to find something to like in all of them. Even though he's batty as hell, I read all his posts with great interest. 

21 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Bait casters ... I could be wrong, too, but doesn't Penn's corporate master (Newell?) also own Abu, too? So Abu may de facto be the entity that does the nifty baitcasters.

Yes. Pure Fishing's brands include Penn, Abu, and Pflueger. And yes, Abu has a lot of baitcasters, including a lot of low-profile baitcasters. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Penn were to drop the International baitcasters, which are (I think, again) the only International reels not made in the USA anyway.  

The International baitcasters are manufactured in Philadelphia. 

penninternationalbaitcasting.jpg.jpg

i thought the international baitcasters were discontinued recently ? 

Hopefully a bail less slammer, 6500 spinfisher has been a huge let down. Bad gears, terrible AR and the pickup leaves alot to be desired. I'm not worried about the sealing aspect

9 hours ago, mark d said:

i thought the international baitcasters were discontinued recently ? 

you are correct

and as for upgrading the spinners over the conventional reels, that just makes sense as the Fathom still holds its own in its class as do the Squall, Torque and top-o-the-line Internationals.

i bought a torque 12 awhile back. what a sweet reel. i would like a torque conventional with level wind. might buy a used international 975 someday