Fishing at night

Rate this topic

Terp

Get your eyes use to the darkness, fish in darkness, glow sticks are good for spiked rods, use a red/white headlamp, red for most the time when needed, white for landing and releasing your catch. Don't walk around with your headlamp on. Just to name a few off the top of my head. 

Edited by Catskill John

ASSUME NOTHING

11 hours ago, Terp said:

Any tips for fishing at night?   I saw some people using glow sticks.    Any other suggestions ? 

Light discipline is fundamental. Every spring I fish for Stripers which are spawning far up in Virginia's rivers .... at night with black streamer flies. It's a hoot!

NightVision.jpg.f90af72e7acc365a9fb36e4ab9e2fb2b.jpg

RockfishOn!! :cool:

I'll preface this with the fact that I used to fish A LOT, year round....since then marriage, kids and home ownership have significantly curtailed that....but this is my two cents from what I remember. ....

Dark purple or black on most nights....however I've done very well using A Salts in the clear pink, clear yellow at times.... As well as the all time white buck tail and purple worm.....chicken scratch/school bus also have produced. Really just depends on factors I won't claim to know....but unless I know they're hitting a certain color/pattern I usually start with dark. Lights can/will spoil the bite if there is no other direct light, then again dock, prior and bridge lights usually have a hold fish especially if there's good bottom structure or quick change in depth, fish the shadow line usually ...I like the red or green filters for head lights as the disappear first in the color spectrum according to folks smarter than me. Practice tying leader and terminal tackle knots. I like a polomar and uni/unit for simplicity and functionality. Simplify your gear, know where it is and keep it small and mobile. If you plan on rock hopping, get Corkers (day or night). wear a wader belt....great place for pliers, helps keep water from filling them if you take a swim....stocking or bootless are best for safety. If you have the option, it's best to see what your fishing in daytime first, sounds elementary but seeing it in daylight helps give you a lay of the land point of view you won't have at night....for even the most experienced night fisherman this can make a difference. Tell someone you trust where you are. Hide your keys, hide a spare key or keep them secure. Put your cell phone in a zip lock. Pay attention. Don't hoop and hollar, if on a boat don't slam deck lids, play radio, make uneeded noise, drift into intended area, slowly put anchor over if needed....many times fish are spooked before you toss the first cast. Have fun....your sense are heightened in low light conditions....listen!....I've gotten turned into a bite by hearing fish swirl/splash. Some sort of FPD is probably a good bet too, especially if fishing OCI, IRI, Susq, etc

ps...as for glow sticks they are handy both on sand and rocks. For the surf I use mini glow sticks and mini zip tie them to the backside  (away from eyes/line) at the tip of the rod....works great as a visual reference. At other locations or in general they're good insurance or a nice non direct light sourxe

Edited by h2oboss

The problem with common sense is that it's not that common

You can get some nifty battery powered green led lights that attach to the end of your rod on Amazon, it also has some bells to attach if the light does not get my attention.

https://www.amazon.com/Samyo-20pcs-Night-Fishing-Light/dp/B00KF854KS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524584785&sr=8-1&keywords=fishing+tip+lights

These go from green to red when a strike happens, works good when the current is not bad or it trips it:

https://www.amazon.com/Lemonbest®-Packs-Fishing-Biting-Replacement/dp/B00MM4O8U0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1524584785&sr=8-3&keywords=fishing+tip+lights

I like my green led headlamp.

19 hours ago, dave sharkman said:

I agree with what John said, add in if driving on the beach don't sit and shine your headlights over the water and try to minimize your headlights when approaching others on the beach. 

Yep.  You CAN use parking lights when passing others in the dark of night. 

When I am coming on and know I won't be looking for a spot for a number of miles of the beach and the whole way coming off I try to ride the eastern most ruts right along the stakes. I feel like it gets any lights from the truck that much further from the water and the people fishing it. 

Rod tip lights, I did the glow stick thing for a while but much prefer the Breakaway LED rod tip lights. 

Fishing the inlets I will go an entire tide and turn on a red headlight just a few times and NEVER a white light.