Slammer 3 3500 click issue

drumfish213

I sent my reel into Penn repair and they replaced every bearing, main gear, pinion gear, anti-reverse clutch, crosswind block and gear, (and for some reason the bail arm), and they sent back all the old parts.  I haven't yet been able to try it out under load, but it was all covered under warranty so I am at least satisfied so far with the service and effort made.  I am just hoping that it fixed the issue and isn't related to the cast body itself, else I will be out of warranty period and out of luck.  Turn around was about 2.5 weeks.

• 1 month later...

Hi Tony I got 2 new Penn slammer 3 4500 which I bought over the winter I use one the other day for the first time it make a knocking then the next day I try the other new one same problem. Is there any real fix instead of sending it back. I dont want to be out of reel for 3 weeks.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 0:43 PM, PENN Fishing said:

Sounds like it's the crosswind block (osc. slider) changing direction which is normal, adding a little extra grease on the slot of the block will help quiet the noise/feeling but it will not go away completely.

tony

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:45 AM, PENN Fishing said:

The majority of our spinning reels have a faint click/tick when the spool reaches the highest and lowest position.  Your friends reel probably has it too, it may just be slightly more faint.  Part # 43, remove it from the reel and add more grease underneath in the slot.

tony

35 mins ago, gman71 said:

Hi Tony I got 2 new Penn slammer 3 4500 which I bought over the winter I use one the other day for the first time it make a knocking then the next day I try the other new one same problem. Is there any real fix instead of sending it back. I dont want to be out of reel for 3 weeks.

The issue you are having is coming from the back up A/R directly under the rotor.  It is an easy fix if you are comfortable taking the rotor off.  Sometimes the ratchet becomes detached due to shipping.  The noise is coming from part # 10, 38E, 12, usually the ratchet becomes unhooked off the spring.  If you are not comfortable taking off the rotor we can certainly repair the reel under warranty for you.  Let me know

tony

• 2 weeks later...