drumfish213

Slammer 3 3500 click issue

24 posts in this topic

31 mins ago, Darth Baiter said:

Line roller comes into play with tension.  My 4500 "ticks under tension" something you feel but don't hear.  Not related to the position of the spool.  The gears were replaced under warranty, no difference.  Back in the local shop to possibly swap out the OEM line roller bushing for bearings, although I can't tell from the schematic whether the 4500 has a bushing or a bearing.  :(  Stay tuned

Thanks for the update. It is disappointing that a reel in this price range has these issues. I wonder if it is a quality control issue or if this is a problem with every reel. My friend has a 4500 with no issues so it makes me wonder...

I hear you; that's the frustrating part. I really don't think I should have to take this thing apart the first time I use it. I bought it in the winter, so it's been too long to do an exchange. I'm hoping it's just a burr on the gear.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:47 AM, LuckyStriker86 said:

I also have a similar issue with my 4500. I've only fished the reel once, and I noticed it right away out of the box. It seems to make a clicking/bumping (only feeling, not audible) when reeling with a bit of tension, but is not consistent with top and bottom travel of the spool; it seems to occur at the same rotation of the spool.

If you turn the handle one full turn do you feel it at every turn?  Wondering if you have a damaged tooth on the gear in which you'll feel it every rotation of the handle regardless where the spool is. 

tony

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:50 AM, drumfish213 said:

Thanks for the update. It is disappointing that a reel in this price range has these issues. I wonder if it is a quality control issue or if this is a problem with every reel. My friend has a 4500 with no issues so it makes me wonder...

Drumfish,

I haven't heard from you since my last reply so I assumed everything was good.  If you are still having an issue I would suggest sending it in for warranty repair so we can try and determine where it is coming from..

tony

11 mins ago, PENN Fishing said:

If you turn the handle one full turn do you feel it at every turn?  Wondering if you have a damaged tooth on the gear in which you'll feel it every rotation of the handle regardless where the spool is. 

tony

I'll open and take a look at the pinion and drive gear this weekend.

40 mins ago, LuckyStriker86 said:

I'll open and take a look at the pinion and drive gear this weekend.

Curious, why diy a reel under warranty?  I took mine to a nearby warranty service center rather than mail it in. 

2 hours ago, PENN Fishing said:

Drumfish,

I haven't heard from you since my last reply so I assumed everything was good.  If you are still having an issue I would suggest sending it in for warranty repair so we can try and determine where it is coming from..

tony

Thanks for following up Tony. I have a trip coming up that I am going to need this reel for but will get more info about sending it in after the trip. 

On 6/11/2018 at 11:16 AM, Darth Baiter said:

Line roller comes into play with tension.  My 4500 "ticks under tension" something you feel but don't hear.  Not related to the position of the spool.  The gears were replaced under warranty, no difference.  Back in the local shop to possibly swap out the OEM line roller bushing for bearings, although I can't tell from the schematic whether the 4500 has a bushing or a bearing.  :(  Stay tuned

2 more weeks without this reel.  Wasn't the line roller.  Penn says more grease. :( Trying further up the corporate ladder.

Posted (edited)

55 mins ago, Darth Baiter said:

2 more weeks without this reel.  Wasn't the line roller.  Penn says more grease. :( Trying further up the corporate ladder.

Just curious which warranty center you took it to?  Please PM if you prefer to keep it private.  Was the reel ever sent in to the Factory or only "local repair shop"? 

tony

Edited by PENN Fishing