How long do you keep using fly line before changing?

Rate this topic

Larrybudwiser

Since I'm grounded this weekend from fishing by the wife for "Honey-do's", I am showing my passive aggressive nature by surfing fishing sites and not doing a thing (she thinks I'm doing work on my laptop). I had recently completed my mission to have a couple of spare spools for (almost) all of my fly reels (still looking for a first gen Mirage VI in gold) and am now considering a potentially massive replacement of fly lines and backing. Most of my recently acquired spares cam with various lines and/or backing but I'm wondering how often do people change out lines and backing. This is further complicated by just the number of reels I own, mostly high end Orvis's of varying age and primarily fished in saltwater. (I'm not going to even think about addressing half a dozen freshwater sets that haven't seen daylight in a few years)  In more recent years, now that the kids are mostly out of college, when I buy a new rod and reel, I've learned to buy spare spools but complicating things further, that means I could have up to three lines that are all on the same use by date. On an average year, I probably am fishing 50-75 days a year although my last job assignment had me fishing closer to 200+ days per year. I am a maintenance freak and always wash down and dry my gear, strip and hand clean the line after each trip, wiping all eyes and seats thoroughly. When I'm home, I fish mostly the northern Jersey shore but my job can put me almost anywhere in the world for months on end.

As an example, I have an Orvis Vortex 9/10 that I bought new around 15 years ago and am fishing the 9wt. WF-9-F Wonderline it came with. On the advise of our fellow contributor RJ, I did some lawn casting last week to "readjust" to the rod and when I wiped the line down afterwards with some Zip Juice, didn't see or feel any roughness or cracks. While my casting was off last weekend fishing, the line performed well and floated normally, even after 15 years. In my web surfing this morning, posts and manufacturer's recommendations ran from  using the same line for 40 years to (Orvis's technical) replace every season (cheesy sales pitch for $100 line).

Now I have three "new" spare spools that don't have line on them so I'm definitely looking a new line and backing there-but that still leaves a dozen or so reels and spares that could have line and backing older than 3 years, some stuff recently bought on fleabay are of unknown age. So how long do you hang on to your line and what's your criteria for replacement.  

1 hour ago, ccb said:

If it don't need fixing , don't fix it?   Fill one of the spare spools as a back up.  Piece of mind?

+1. I'll use a fly line until I can't trust it to hold together or until it doesn't work well any more, then use it as a practice line. Doesn't matter how old it is. If it works, I'm happy, and will continue to use it. 

I will never replace a line unless it develops cracks in it, that is my benchmark, then I do it asap before it starts to create a hindging effect on the cast and stripping issues on the guides. I very seldom if ever ever replace backing. 

Lines that don't get used much mostly need a good stretch before used and proper storage otherwise and they will last many years. 

The Tug Is The Drug

P1060161avrs.JPG.4cfec72f29b8d59afe85d0e7a9d85266.JPG

1 hour ago, snapper1 said:

I have a floating cold water Airflo on my 8 weight for over 10 years...I do not remember the model...The color is light blue...Awesome flyline...

Cheers

If it is an Airflo and it is light blue then you have one of the original Airflo Clear Blue Polyfuse Intermediate lines "pre Ridge". I actually liked that line better because it was easier on the fingers.

Those lines back then would last 4 to f years with very heavy use. The Ridge lines are just as durable. The best Intermediate line round in my opinion.

The Tug Is The Drug

P1060161avrs.JPG.4cfec72f29b8d59afe85d0e7a9d85266.JPG

6 hours ago, ccb said:

If it don't need fixing , don't fix it?   Fill one of the spare spools as a back up.  Piece of mind?

With my traveling for work, I end up in some remote places and pulling stuff out of my a** isn't that easy. I want to have a reasonable assurance of dependability and have a spool of floating, intermediate and full sinking ready to go for each reel and with me. While working on Kwajalein last year, the place is so remote, it took a minimum of 2 weeks to get anything mailed through an APO address-no FedEx or even express mail. The PX doesn't have anything for fishing but does have 60 different types of beer.

Generally, fly lines retain their strength so long as the core remains undamaged.  So the fear of a line breaking while fighting a fish is not significant until that core is compromised.  The areas where wear happens first are 1) the "hinge" effect at the line tip- leader connection, 2) the end taper6-8 feet leading to the leader connection where the "crack-the-whip dramatic line acceleration occurs with each cast, often with a very narrow loop, dramatically and violently flexing the line, and 3) the ten feet or so in the head-running line transition where the line is sawed against the stripping guide with single and double HAULING maneuvers.

Usually one sees cracks in the plastic material surrounding the core.  When the leader connection hinge becomes cracked, it is easily identified and can be cut off and re-tied.....so THAT is not a reason to give up on a line.  When the final line taper becomes cracked, it simply soaks up extra water and begins sinking.....for a floating line turning it into a sink-tip (!) or sinking faster for a sinking line.....not really a bad thing.  NOT a reason to give up on a line.....in my book.

BUT........when long segments of shooting line in that transition section between head and shooting line begin shedding their coating exposing the braided core.....well then....the line is definitely on borrowed time!!  The most unfortunate fact is that that exposed braid makes LOUSY shooting line because it has lost its stiffener.....the coating!  If you have ever tried braided backing as a shooting line you know what I mean.  It tangles into knots easily and those knots cinch tight instantly with minimal tension and are HELL to pick out.  On the good side, though, those tightened core-braid knots/loops are small and supple.  They usually clear through the guides without a hang-up.  But the mess hanging out there in the air during a big-fish fight looks so indelicate as to be embarrassing for those of us who take pride in our equipment.

Thus.....when I begin to get long sections of line in the transition running line section, more than 6-10 inches here and there that have lost their coating, then the tangles begin.  At THAT point I will cut off the head, attach a loop to the base of the head, turn the running line around and attach a loop to the old far end......to mate with the head loop, attach the worn area braid to the backing on the reel.....and keep using the line as a removable/interchangeable shooting head system.

Amazing how much use you can get out of things with a little ingenuity!

Any questions? 

Edited by Peter Patricelli

I got an Orvis "Sly Line" when they first came out, late  80s or early 90s. I fished that line till way past Y2K. It tangled quite a bit but it wasn;t broke. Finally got it caught on some rocks and had to upgrade. Last year I gave away the intermediate line I got my first tarpon on in 1987 and my friend is still using it (Cortland something or other btw). Then again my kids make fun of my phone so....

Edited by stormy monday

I use my fly line until it starts falling apart or breaks on a fish. 

I caught one in the prop last Nov and jumped in rather than see it go bye bye. I think I can repair it with aqua seal.

but i still look into the back of the garage and find some fly line I forgot I had, so maybe I should change them out more often/

On 4/22/2018 at 3:50 PM, bonefishdick said:

I will never replace a line unless it develops cracks in it, that is my benchmark,

That.

It's FW floating lines for trout that I change the most frequently. I'll dress the tips for a little while when they're past their floating prime, but not too long. Floaters for dry flies are the most performance -sensitive of the fishing I do.

I'm working on 25 years per fly line. I fish multiple rod set ups at different times of year so my fly line usage is spread out across my collection of rods & reels. Unfortunately I have more lawn casting time on some set ups than I have actual saltwater employment.

That said I have clear Airflo lines from 20 years ago that still get used (go to lines) in cold weather ... along with Wulff Triangular Taper lines, etc. With the price of new lines pushing $100 ... I rarely by new stuff and if i do it's at some discount / closeout price.

RockfishOn!! :cool: