CjTveit

Stripers 2018

20 posts in this topic

Any news on fresh fish yet? i’ve gotten out a few times so far but nothing yet. with a warm week ahead and sw winds in the forecast i expect to be catching very soon!

Heard through the grape vine that the water exploding in front of Chatham inlet. Heard from two guys same story.

Might be herring or might be small bass with seals under them coming into warm bay water.

Might have to put on the long johns and go see. Then again I might wait and let some young feller do it.

It's going to be a bit.

The cold spring has really put the brakes on spawning activity in the Chesapeake. While the spring sun is likely the trigger for mature bass to move inshore for spawning, when they find cold water most simply hold back and stall until temps approach 60. Those that don't, have all their eggs killed by cold.

Temps in the Chesapeake are in the 50s and need another week of warmth before the holding bass really charge up and spawn heavy. Since they aint comin north til the deed is done.. I would be very surprised if Buzzards Bay gets the 1st push of Keepers in mid-May like last year.

Current SSTs are still rippin cold from the winter. Because of the clear sky today, we got a nice satellite scan.

180422_112_1233_n18.jpg.a8c2f74e41bb04d54f7c9962a7237318.jpg

It still shows near uniformity in water temps, with shallow areas like BB & ACK Sound just starting to differentiate and warm up ahead of the deeper areas.

Surface currents remain in their standard configuration.

hfr5mhz_20180422T150000-20180422T150000_maracoos_std_hires.thumb.png.5eabd6638e9262fb86bc1fa5752215e2.png

Need strong SW winds to flip it which imo helps a bit, but more importantly I think it piles a bubble of surface warmed water right against the shorelines of south coast, which the fish seem to enjoy.

Looking back against other years, April 2018 is sort of running near 2015(a very cold winter/early spring) which also featured a delayed start.

5adce0c3e7035_chart(4).jpeg.2c9e7138fdd5233b9aa401e35d9a2095.jpeg

5adce0d32c483_chart(1).jpeg.38b3812b456147b2808ccd1297af8056.jpeg

Given the 7-day forecast, the first small stuff will probably be into BB around May 1st. Mem Day wknd looks to be a sh¡tshow at the trench, with the good fish likely arriving somewhat closer to the holiday this yr.

I was in CT doing some fishing this morning and finally found some migratory fish after passing through the crowds & holdovers. Water temp in LI sound was 43 seems pretty cold for this time of year...thinking its going to be a late start for us in MA

Posted (edited)

Did a tow from New Bedford to Marion yesterday and recorded 43 degrees. NB harbor was around 45. I’m doing a job from NB to West Island tomorrow, so I’m curious to see how much it came up since then. Southerly winds and mild temps this week should keep things on track, and I think we’ll see an increase of a degree each day. Historically, I find the first keepers in the BB by the first week of May. A lot can happen in the next 10 days. 

Edited by Seadogg

2 hours ago, rst3 said:

It's going to be a bit.

The cold spring has really put the brakes on spawning activity in the Chesapeake. While the spring sun is likely the trigger for mature bass to move inshore for spawning, when they find cold water most simply hold back and stall until temps approach 60. Those that don't, have all their eggs killed by cold.

Temps in the Chesapeake are in the 50s and need another week of warmth before the holding bass really charge up and spawn heavy. Since they aint comin north til the deed is done.. I would be very surprised if Buzzards Bay gets the 1st push of Keepers in mid-May like last year.

Current SSTs are still rippin cold from the winter. Because of the clear sky today, we got a nice satellite scan.

180422_112_1233_n18.jpg.a8c2f74e41bb04d54f7c9962a7237318.jpg

It still shows near uniformity in water temps, with shallow areas like BB & ACK Sound just starting to differentiate and warm up ahead of the deeper areas.

Surface currents remain in their standard configuration.

hfr5mhz_20180422T150000-20180422T150000_maracoos_std_hires.thumb.png.5eabd6638e9262fb86bc1fa5752215e2.png

Need strong SW winds to flip it which imo helps a bit, but more importantly I think it piles a bubble of surface warmed water right against the shorelines of south coast, which the fish seem to enjoy.

Looking back against other years, April 2018 is sort of running near 2015(a very cold winter/early spring) which also featured a delayed start.

5adce0c3e7035_chart(4).jpeg.2c9e7138fdd5233b9aa401e35d9a2095.jpeg

5adce0d32c483_chart(1).jpeg.38b3812b456147b2808ccd1297af8056.jpeg

Given the 7-day forecast, the first small stuff will probably be into BB around May 1st. Mem Day wknd looks to be a sh¡tshow at the trench, with the good fish likely arriving somewhat closer to the holiday this yr.

These reports are just awesome rst3, thank you!!

22 mins ago, Seadogg said:

Did a tow from New Bedford to Marion yesterday and recorded 43 degrees. NB harbor was around 45. I’m doing a job from NB to West Island tomorrow, so I’m curious to see how much it came up since then. Southerly winds and mild temps this week should keep things on track, and I think we’ll see an increase of a degree each day. Historically, I find the first keepers in the BB by the first week of May. A lot can happen in the next 10 days. 

Nice rept. Big plus to working on the water is knowing what goes on when. Are the keepers you typically find in BB in early May the "2nd Wave" migrants? The bigger juveniles like 24-30" that show up after the rats, but before the post-spawn bass? Or are these the big girls?

2 mins ago, rst3 said:

Nice rept. Big plus to working on the water is knowing what goes on when. Are the keepers you typically find in BB in early May the "2nd Wave" migrants? The bigger juveniles like 24-30" that show up after the rats, but before the post-spawn bass? Or are these the big girls?

The ones early in May are mixed with the schoolies, not consistently keeper class. The “2nd wave” fish seem to come around the new moon, usually 15-20 pounders. Lots of surface action around that time. Last May there were hordes of juvenile sea herring fueling the blitzes. 

little update- still no fish but weather looks promising and have heard about some fish being caught very close to buzzards bay. any day now...

This is the annual itched that needs to be scratched. Guys are ready to get out but Mother Nature is not cooperating. During this time of the year I focus on large mouth bass bedding down on their pre-spawn/spawn. My favorite pond is still too cold and I have had very few results there. The weather is forecast to warm up next week which will improve the fresh water bite. However, once I see ocean water temps above 50 I start focusing on tautog and late day stripers in back bays and estuaries.

Got a couple outside the harbor today. Not exactly fast and furious action, but it’s a start.