LL Bean Waders Fell Apart, Now What?!?!

Rate this topic

drumfish213

Bought these on the BST from a member here who had them as a backup pair (never worn). They looked like a great idea, the comfort of stocking foot with the convenience of bootfoot. I used them once and the boots completely fell apart (see pictures). It seems like maybe all the rubber was dry rotted and when I wore them the rubber flexed and cracked off. Now that LL Bean has changed their warranty policy I am assuming I am out of luck but I was wondering if any of the ingenious members here may have an idea on a way to salvage the waders.

IMG_7043.JPG

IMG_7044.JPG

IMG_7045 (1).JPG

IMG_7063.JPG

In my opinion that is a thermoplastic rubber material (TPR). For both boots to display the same exact condition the pair experienced an extra heat history. The boots should not break down in this manner. Contact LLB.

Edited by Charleston

I am old but I'm slow.

I was in the Freeport store yesterday.    I talked to several different people who assured me their return policy would remain reasonably liberal, but they were reserving the right to refuse returns which were absolutely outrageous.   I'd most certainly return those boots.   If it turns out they stopped selling them years ago, you might have a problem, but if the damage is not from old age or abuse, I'll bet they'll do something positive.  

Marty

10 mins ago, MartyK said:

I was in the Freeport store yesterday.    I talked to several different people who assured me their return policy would remain reasonably liberal, but they were reserving the right to refuse returns which were absolutely outrageous.   I'd most certainly return those boots.   If it turns out they stopped selling them years ago, you might have a problem, but if the damage is not from old age or abuse, I'll bet they'll do something positive.  

Good to know. Thanks. I wish it was just the boots but the boots are built into the waders.

LL bean will not accept any returns now without an official receipt or some proof of purchase. Just went through this. I would contact the seller and ask for your money back. They are not salvageable and definitely were not in the condition you thought they were in when you bought them

I dont think the quality of LLBean waders are bad at all.  Just unfortunate that it deteriated in that manner.  I highly doubt LLBean will replace them now.

My advise, dont buy boot foot waders of any kind anymore.  Just get a pair of breathable stocking foot waders and lug wading boots on the side.  I have a pair of LLBean stocking foot waders and cabelas lug wading boots.  My waders are in its 3rd year, and my my boots are in its 5th-6th year.  Laces were the only thing that went bad.

Good luck man.

No bootfoot wader?!? You're mad man! If these waders are 15 years old, I mean, how many people have a pair of waders for fifteen years? Pretty rare. Having said that, I have LL Bean bootfoot breathables and they are not at all durable. Got them in September, used them every day thru December. Plenty of leaks where the fabric bunches around the boots. They don't fit so well my body. The crotch is wearing out really badly, should probably do a preventitive repair now. The lining of the boots is worn through at the heel. The cushioning in the sole of the boot has compacted and for a while you could feel what I guess is a rubber skeleton or something which was really uncomfortable. Then something else down there wore down and the problem went away. The sole liners have holes on the toes. Etc. 

They aren't great waders and if I can aquaseal them through this season I will consider myself lucky. In retrospect, probably would have been worth it to just spend more money on a pair of expensive Simms. 

Oh, and these waders are uber moist below the knee. Lots of condensation down there to the point of wetness because there's no breathable material down there just nylon. 

16 mins ago, Evil-Bay said:

I dont think the quality of LLBean waders are bad at all.  Just unfortunate that it deteriated in that manner.  I highly doubt LLBean will replace them now.

My advise, dont buy boot foot waders of any kind anymore.  Just get a pair of breathable stocking foot waders and lug wading boots on the side.  I have a pair of LLBean stocking foot waders and cabelas lug wading boots.  My waders are in its 3rd year, and my my boots are in its 5th-6th year.  Laces were the only thing that went bad.

Good luck man.

I have then same setup but when I saw these I thought they may be the best combo. Ease of bootfoot with comfort of stocking foot with separate boots. Looks like they were too good to be true. 

Duct tape

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

5 hours ago, Slacker said:

I would try taking them back.  I also wouldn't be surprised to hear that they haven't sold that style of wader in 15 years or more... and that they'll just give you a discount on something new.

If they’re anywhere near 15 years old I don’t think this should be on LL Bean.... I personally think it looks like dry rot probably from sitting around for a long period of time. Similar thing happened to a pair of roller blades I had. Can’t tell if it’s cosmetic or not but I would see how they hold up and maybe apply some adhesive 

Boston Strong