bospa357

Fly Fishermen

210 posts in this topic

Why do they all feel the need to hold the rod in their mouth while showing off their fish for pics?

I have my own theory, but I'd like to hear others. 

Because they can. Most other fisherman have dental issues. Could be the meth.... 

See what I'm saying. He was always a good brusher even as a young child :D

IMG_1645.jpg

And for the record, I have nothing against fly fishing. Just wondering what the hell that weird trait is all about. You don't see it with other boat fishermen or surfcasters. :shrug:

Seriously I think it's mostly fw. Fishing sw knocks that **** out of you:shaky:

Posted (edited)

17 mins ago, bospa357 said:

And for the record, I have nothing against fly fishing. Just wondering what the hell that weird trait is all about. You don't see it with other boat fishermen or surfcasters. :shrug:

could it be that trout are not lipped and fly fisherman are standing in the middle of the river ? rather than on a boat or standing on dry land. 

large.IMG_1277.JPG.a7d39a423360a6fed71dd5d5edaec8db.JPGgallery_1690_205_1317142.jpgI try and hold them with one hand and take a pic when i'm on my own wth mixed results

Edited by Aquacide

1 min ago, Aquacide said:

could it be that trout are not lipped and fly fisherman are standing in the middle of the river ? rather than on a boat or standing on dry land. 

Nope. I've seen it all across the board. 

Posted (edited)

How our you sposed to show the world how awesome you our?

You need two hands for the slippery fish, then your still have to show world the source of your awesomeness.

If we were monkeys we could use are prehensile tails too.

Edited by shb

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, bospa357 said:

Did you see my current photo? 

You are showing off the fish and making the point you took it with a fly. It is braggadocio and hubris wrapped up in snootiness. 

Boat and surf fisherman cant to it because the gear is too heavy for mouth posing. I have seen a few ultralight spin guys do similar but that is the limit. 

If big saltwater fish are involved (GTs, large permit, tarpon), the current practice for those who must is to put the rod over your shoulder so the reel can be seen confirming the fly rod deal.  

In the end, it is all about showing off. 

CE9AAA9B-93D1-46DF-A937-3B6276F118BC.jpeg.5ec93c8a05d816a80a2ac73da810cb2b.jpeg

Edited by tomkaz

So the answer to Bob’s  question is, yes, we’re dealing with a subset of fishermen that break the needle on the “look how straight up douchey awesome I am” meter. 

Good to know.

4 mins ago, Wigeon said:

So the answer to Bob’s  question is, yes, we’re dealing with a subset of fishermen that break the needle on the “look how straight up douchey awesome I am” meter. 

Good to know.

Well, that’s a bit harsh but yeah, guilty as charged. 

:howdy: