Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OnTheFish

Cedar species

10 posts in this topic

I would love to find ayc local to me Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware even Jersey if anyone has a source let me know . I have found northern white cedar and Alantic white cedar has anyone worked with either and how do they compare to ayc? Or is their a nother type I should try to track down  Thanks guys

Medford Cedar Products in Medford, NJ. Ask for Chip, he stocks 2x2 balusters, which measure 1.5' x 1.5" x 4' long, and they'll ship

White cedar is good to work with, softer than AYC, and lighter. Might have to leave plug a little large and sand down to final size to get a good finish.

1 hour ago, Ed White said:

Medford Cedar Products in Medford, NJ. Ask for Chip, he stocks 2x2 balusters, which measure 1.5' x 1.5" x 4' long, and they'll ship

White cedar is good to work with, softer than AYC, and lighter. Might have to leave plug a little large and sand down to final size to get a good finish.

Thanks for the info I really appreciate it

Posted (edited)

Like Ed indicated, white cedar can be a good wood for plugs. Less dense than AYC. Really depends what you are building. AYC is better for some plugs, WC for others, and that might be different for different builders. I like AYC for pikies. Dannys, I find WC works better for me. Also prefer WC for pencils over AYC. 

Edited by Jig Man

23 hours ago, Jig Man said:

Like Ed indicated, white cedar can be a good wood for plugs. Less dense than AYC. Really depends what you are building. AYC is better for some plugs, WC for others, and that might be different for different builders. I like AYC for pikies. Dannys, I find WC works better for me. Also prefer WC for pencils over AYC. 

Thanks for the input I have turned some ayc and it turned nice some other cedar seemed a little chippy as a turned it don’t know how else to describe it was looking for something that turned as nice or close to ayc thanks Don

I use white cedar for poppers and smaller metal lips. It is soft but I don't mind when my plugs get chewed up, its just battle scars. Occasionally ill just throw an extra coat of e-tex on the exposed wood. 

A coat of etex for the sealer coat really firms up the softer woods, and makes a great base for the paint layers. Adds a little weight, but doesn't seem to bother the really light, soft woods.

1 hour ago, Ed White said:

A coat of etex for the sealer coat really firms up the softer woods, and makes a great base for the paint layers. Adds a little weight, but doesn't seem to bother the really light, soft woods.

I have sealed a few with etex warm them up and that epoxy sucks right into the wood  a little medley but does a great job

Cyanoacrylates (super glue) makes any softwood surface hard as nails. 

Coat them and then spray the plug with an accelerator. Hard as nails and waterproof instantly. 

sg.png.457e051e00b17ec3bf5751e8425b2cd7.png

7 hours ago, J said:

Cyanoacrylates (super glue) makes any softwood surface hard as nails. 

Coat them and then spray the plug with an accelerator. Hard as nails and waterproof instantly. 

sg.png.457e051e00b17ec3bf5751e8425b2cd7.png

Good to know have heard of this but never tried