Boat Dilemma pt 1

Rate this topic

Slack Tidings

I am changing teams. Still haven’t bought a boat but have a couple contenders. I’m looking for something relatively small (would like to store it in our 19’ garage) and it would primarily be used inshore.....what would you do for under 5k? 

MikeMc, on 05 Jul 2016 - 1:56 PM, said:

I'll get a pic when I get homoe.

Haven't you seen the Mako thread?

Seriously, for 5k you're looking at an older boat with older 2 stroke power on a trailer.16 - 17' because of your length restrictions.

You can find older Mako's , or Aquasports, or Wellcrafts, etc. in that range.

Try to find one with solid floors/transoms - they're out there.

Then you can run the thing, and if you get ambitious, you can spruce it up in the off season - or do a compler resto if you want to go there. 

2 mins ago, Billybob said:

Haven't you seen the Mako thread?

Seriously, for 5k you're looking at an older boat with older 2 stroke power on a trailer.16 - 17' because of your length restrictions.

You can find older Mako's , or Aquasports, or Wellcrafts, etc. in that range.

Try to find one with solid floors/transoms - they're out there.

Then you can run the thing, and if you get ambitious, you can spruce it up in the off season - or do a compler resto if you want to go there. 

I’ll check out the Mako thread, a quick search revealed nothing for sale locally. I’m not sure 17’ would work....I assume you have to add at least 5’ for trailer and outboard, no? I love the way those Makos look though. :(

12 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

that's a decent little budget around here. youd have a "lot" of options.

There’s a lot on CL but the ones I like are either too big or too expensive. I’m wondering if it makes sense to look for a good hull then power separately with a low hrs motor (if I can find one). One of the boats I’m considering has a 2012 Etec 50 on it, supposedly very little maintenance.

5 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

do you have another storage option. seems silly to buy based on the garage storage alone....

I know..we’ve got a big yard but we don’t really use the garadge otherwise and it would make winterizing easy. 

If you get something that's close, but tight fitting in the garage, you can always make the trailer tongue a swing away. Essentially a hinge that once backed in, you pull a pin and swing the trailer tongue back against itself to clear the overhead door.

1 min ago, bospa357 said:

If you get something that's close, but tight fitting in the garage, you can always make the trailer tongue a swing away. Essentially a hinge that once backed in, you pull a pin and swing the trailer tongue back against itself to clear the overhead door.

Yes, I’ve looked at those, would make it possible to go a bit bigger.