Uncontained Jet Engine Failure, 1 Dead Passenger

Rate this topic

Gotcow?

The fan case on modern jet engines is designed to contain a blade and high energy debris that liberates from the hub at full power setting.

The idea being to keep pieces from ripping thru the airframe and killing passengers or crashing the plane.

google jet engine fan blade out test to see just how violent to the destruction is.

58 mins ago, Jetty Jumper said:

"The woman, identified as Jennifer Riordan of Albuquerque, New Mexico, was pulled out of the plane up to her waist with her blood splattering the windows, passengers said.
Eric Zilbert, another passenger, said "several heroic gentlemen":howdy: pulled the Riordan back into the plane and immediately performed CPR. Tranchin said she was covered in blood."

"Jennifer Riordan, a New Mexico mother and business executive with a long history of volunteerism, was identified as the passenger who died on Southwest Flight 1380 after a harrowing tragedy unfolded when an engine exploded and blew out a window.
It’s not yet clear whether Riordan was the same passenger who was partially sucked out a window, however. KOAT-TV identified the deceased passenger as Riordan, of Albuquerque, New Mexico. She was 43-years-old and a married mother of two children."

RIP

Turns out she had a pretty high position in Wells Fargo...they're going to release a statement later

44 mins ago, Firinne said:

and Scotland!

very nice. you're taking a fishing rod i hope. 

Disclaimer: the above may not represent the actual views of the writer, but may have been expressed sarcastically/ ironically with the sole intention of providing humour. That notwithstanding, the writer retains the right to be emotionally, psychologically or alcohol/substance impaired at the time of writing

(*member formerly known as 'guernseybass')

I flew a lot.  a lot.  And I love it, and I have been an aviation buff all my life.  No fear at all

But can you imagine the terror?

Plane lands one engine.  150 mph breeze coming in a hole.  Comes in with a weird yaw, grinds to a halt.

Out of the plane and on the ground, and there it is, that decision.

After that hellish vision, do I get right on another plane?

Or stay the night in Philadelphia?

“My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose.”

Ayn Rand

25 mins ago, Little said:

I flew a lot.  a lot.  And I love it, and I have been an aviation buff all my life.  No fear at all

But can you imagine the terror?

Plane lands one engine.  150 mph breeze coming in a hole.  Comes in with a weird yaw, grinds to a halt.

Out of the plane and on the ground, and there it is, that decision.

After that hellish vision, do I get right on another plane?

Or stay the night in Philadelphia?

My grandfather flew in bombers in WWII. He flew his own plane for many years after. He crashed once, minor injuries. He was up flying right away.