IRT Reels???

Rate this topic

Fishy4335

I saw these last year look like a nice reel to me wasn’t able to come up with much info here a lot of guys just said I wouldn’t spend my money to test them out go with tried and true but they are us made decent price look well made I’d love to know more about them especially for surf casting little I did find was good to go boat reel no info on the surf side

Innovative Reel Technologies is a startup, I think staffed mostly by former Penn folks, that wants to get into the high-end, luxe spinner niche market occupied by the Stella/Saltiga/VS/Penn Torque market.  There have been a few posts here by an executive, but they don't have a regular spokesperson on site. They show up in Kilsong's photos now and then.  I think (tentatively) that there aer other field testers here on SOL, but I might be wrong. AFAIK you can order the reels directly from the firm, but they don't have a retail network as of yet. If Search is working, you can find the other posts.  

I have a vague recollection they're in Pennsylvania, somewhere.

Manufactured in Pine Grove,Pa.  A friend of mine knows some of the guys there and I got to handle one he had made. Nice reel, very smooth and feels like a quality build. And the prices are not off the charts. A google search brings them right up. I personally asked some questions about pricing and availability through their website and received a quick response within a few days.

As you know, I have been using the IRT reels over 2 years.

Some might think I am affiliated with the Company. they offered me to test their reels and I did as I am always in the search of better quality tackle.  So you can call me field tester for IRT reels. :)

I am leaving for Korea tomorrow morning and I am packing now.  when I have time, I will tell my story of IRT reels. 

9 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Innovative Reel Technologies is a startup, I think staffed mostly by former Penn folks, that wants to get into the high-end, luxe spinner niche market occupied by the Stella/Saltiga/VS/Penn Torque market.  There have been a few posts here by an executive, but they don't have a regular spokesperson on site. They show up in Kilsong's photos now and then.  I think (tentatively) that there aer other field testers here on SOL, but I might be wrong. AFAIK you can order the reels directly from the firm, but they don't have a retail network as of yet. If Search is working, you can find the other posts.  

I have a vague recollection they're in Pennsylvania, somewhere.

I have been testing a 500DD for several months and most recently a 600. Will report my findings at a later date because as to my knowledge they are still evaluating field test data on the reels I am testing. Not certain if they are final production models or not. 

i also have tested these new reels, like dennysnook, and Brain mentioned company from PA.- USA,,,Up and coming reels, i will be testing one reel made  with higher retrieve for the Canal...

A beach is a place where a man can feel, he's the only soul in the world thats real ; A jetty is a place where a man feels, he must have a bucket full of eels.

when I was approached by IRT rep, I thought they are another company to pretend they make reels in the US. 

But I learned soon former employee are making the reels in PA.  Just for curiosity, I decide to visit the factory in PA.

They are genuine. They want to make quality reels in the US using the best material available.

So my involvement started.  Last two years, I tested the IRT 300 - 500 heavily.  At first, the reels seem don't have max drag as they claim. So I reported it to them. Then they gave me prototype duel drag reels. I liked them immediately as it gives enough max drag and the duel drag reel seems have better drag.

As you know, I test all tackle to the limit. I tested IRT 500 for tuna in Panama and the reel got damaged. ( I shouldn't try the small reel for tuna from the start. :) ) when I reported it to them, they found the solution. 

They really want to make top of the line reel by improving and upgrading. 

I can say that IRT 300 - 500 reels are as good as any high-end reels, but they are not final products as they will continue to improve/upgrade the reels based on users' feedback.

I tested the duel drag 600 using 60 lb Jerry Brown Hollow on the recent Three Kings trip in NZ and I used heavy drag. 20 lb kingfish didn't take drag. And they reel performed beautifully. They are eager to review my reel and my reel is under way to PA factory.

The IRT reel is not as smooth as Stella or Saltiga, but it is better than Van Staal or Zeebass.

If they are 100 percent water proof as they claim, they have future for surf fishermen. 

Mike Basnite is testing the reel in the surf in Florida and he even dunk the reel in the water. But he used only 6 months and he will report his honest opinion about the reels. 

I usually fish on boats, but the reels got slash when running the boats and the reels are still working after using the reels for two years extensively without any maintenance.  Any reel survive over one year in my hands, the reel is good. :)

2 mins ago, ksong said:

when I was approached by IRT rep, I thought they are another company to pretend they make reels in the US. 

But I learned soon former employee are making the reels in PA.  Just for curiosity, I decide to visit the factory in PA.

They are genuine. They want to make quality reels in the US using the best material available.

So my involvement started.  Last two years, I tested the IRT 300 - 500 heavily.  At first, the reels seem don't have max drag as they claim. So I reported it to them. Then they gave me prototype duel drag reels. I liked them immediately as it gives enough max drag and the duel drag reel seems have better drag.

As you know, I test all tackle to the limit. I tested IRT 500 for tuna in Panama and the reel got damaged. ( I shouldn't try the small reel for tuna from the start. :) ) when I reported it to them, they found the solution. 

They really want to make top of the line reel by improving and upgrading. 

I can say that IRT 300 - 500 reels are as good as any high-end reels, but they are not final products as they will continue to improve/upgrade the reels based on users' feedback.

I tested the duel drag 600 using 60 lb Jerry Brown Hollow on the recent Three Kings trip in NZ and I used heavy drag. 20 lb kingfish didn't take drag. And they reel performed beautifully. They are eager to review my reel and my reel is under way to PA factory.

The IRT reel is not as smooth as Stella or Saltiga, but it is better than Van Staal or Zeebass.

If they are 100 percent water proof as they claim, they have future for surf fishermen. 

Mike Basnite is testing the reel in the surf in Florida and he even dunk the reel in the water. But he used only 6 months and he will report his honest opinion about the reels. 

I usually fish on boats, but the reels got slash when running the boats and the reels are still working after using the reels for two years extensively without any maintenance.  Any reel survive over one year in my hands, the reel is good. :)

which models do they claim to be waterproof, and where? also, great to hear that you are really testing them hard, cant wait to get my hands on one eventually

Dennis / Kil,

Have you had any issues with the bail?

The bail wire appears to be highest in the middle, and not at the roller. On early VSB the bail would open when I set the hook after casting to breaking fish (at the end of the cast). Van Staal redesigned the angle of the wire to minimize that issue. 

The retrieve that is advertised is low, the production 400 has 31” retrieve at full spool, all reels are sealed, main body , drag , and there are zero ferrous metal parts in the reels.

all are Class 2 salt spray anodized. Bail springs have been changed to a stiffer spring, reels are available in manual bail, or auto flip, or there is Bailless versions. There is a 400 size Dual Drag in the works as well as some different gear ratios, However 95% of the customers and pro-Staff using the current gear ratio like the Torque and power it provides. I’ve been using the IRTs for about 12yrs. Now, and they are a true workhorse of a reel and have found there way to fill many stands on commercial fishing boats because of that and a Lifetime Warranty available.