Mattyice572

New to fly fishing, need a rod. Please help

23 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, iamnobody said:

The best "cheap" fly rod is the clearwater. Even cheaper than that the echo base and cheap TFO's are ok. All are a bit heavy though. Cabelas or bass pro might have a few cheap ones that are good aswell. The rod doesn't really matter for casting performance, the technique is much more important. TRy to look at a few videos online, the best I've found is a video series by Paul Arden on vimeo.

I too think Clearwater rods are best cheap brand rods and as nice to cast and fish than some $800 rods because they are light. Components are cheap but Orvis warranty is good. I have four Helios and now I think how clever it was to pay much more although they were diacounted or second hand?

And yes Paul Arden SL Masterclass casting lesson videos most are excellent and the rest are very good but follow the order because using just good functioning grip is important.

Esa

The boss is tough.

Edited by tomkaz
The second link was also a commercial link :-)

Ok, let’s try this again, again. My inclusion of commercial links appears to have turned my screen pink. 

Fenwick Aetos. I now own three of them and they are best bang for buck I am aware of. Search google for "Fenwick Aetos" and go to the Fenwick site. 

(Deleted URL was here)

Amazon has the 9’ 5wt for $149

You wont find them in too many fly shops because Fenwick abandoned the Fly rod business years ago. Pure Fishing now owns the brand and has used Greys blanks to make these rods. Absent high end reel seat hardware, these cast great for $150. Look around and you might find for $115-125. 

Great review at the Yellowstone Angler link you will see on google. 

(another link removed)

ETA: this is what I wrote about the Aetos after lawn casting session. 

Edited by tomkaz

take some lessons from a certified casting instructor if your fresh water have them take you on a stream besides casting much is needed learning to read the water & the surrounding environment  if saltwater then saltwater environment such as an estestuary to learn the same . Then buy the most expensive equipment you can afford , boots ,waders , jacket, rod & reel set up , sunglasses & cap to stay dry. You will hate cheap equipment , its an expensive game  

Edited by Hook I

I have a St. Croix rio santo 8wt new in the bag with tags I got this as a gift and I have several fly rods already I’m looking for $210 it comes with the reel line is floating and backing I can post pick tomorrow 

you don't need lessons from an instructor to learn how to cast, just need the desire to learn. sure you can learn how to be an average caster with maybe one or two lessons but to go beyond that you have to want to improve. Plus it doesn't cost any money.

4 hours ago, iamnobody said:

you don't need lessons from an instructor to learn how to cast, just need the desire to learn. sure you can learn how to be an average caster with maybe one or two lessons but to go beyond that you have to want to improve. Plus it doesn't cost any money.

This is true for a few.   Attitude drives everything.

What  I see mostly on the beach is guys who have little desire or attitude and look like they have never taken a lesson in their lives.

Getting our flies to the fish is fundamental so being able to cast well is key.

Casting  lessons are very valuable. But a course of them is needed one or two have limited value.

It is pretty clear most don’t bother and the negative effect is there for all to see.

mike

Edited by Mike Oliver