CotroneOnIce

Kayak Fishing Boston MA

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I am moving to Allston MA in September after graduating school. I have been looking around for information about kayak fishing Boston Harbor. So far I have found Charles River Kayak and Canoe club to store my yak. Winthrop boat ramp near Deer Island, and the Hull elementary school as possible launch points. I am experienced in using my yak in CT/RI waters, but am unfamiliar with Boston Harbor. I have read that the many islands hold flounder and bass, but am looking for advice about more launching spots and any tips to navigate these new waters safely, especially with the high amount of boat traffic in the channels. Any advice is much appreciated! 

Google NEKF ... it's a kayak specific group for that part of the world :th:

I would suggest checking out the forums for that region along with maps of the surrounding waters.  The maps will get you familiar with the contours while the forums may give insight into local safety.

Clubs can get you familiar with launch spots and teach you some local techniques.

Hiring a guide if its in your budget would be very helpful in my opinion.  Shower them in questions while they show you the ropes.