JohnP

Is fiberglass the new vinyl?

57 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I kinda see the rejection of digital for analog, and do admit the vinyl brings back how I remember it.

I’m seeing some rod makers now dabbling back in glass.

not yet sure I’m longing for my old glass flyrod.

you?

Edited by JohnP

Posted (edited)

Yes absolutely... supposedly it is bringing some 'soul' back to rods and forcing you to slow down, get away from the glitz and glam of carbon fiber fast action rods, and get back to basics of casting with a slow action rod. I have two, both cheap, and they are fun in their own right. Difficult to find the right line for them, ended up 2-3 line weights up on both. My favorite is the 7' 5 wt. Eagle Claw Featherlight with a 7 wt. Rio Mainstream line, picked up for $20 at Walmart. Great for backwater schoolies, small streams, and to throw in the bed of a truck and not worry about it. For young guys like me, fiberglass was never really an option - we were born into the graphite era. Anything glass was old and junky. My mother in law even has a steel fly rod that was her grandfather's.

I tried an Echo Bad Ass Glass (BAG) and it was cool, I personally could not tell the difference between it and any other 'glass rod I have casted. Would I trade my Scott for a hundred of the best 'glass rods? Not in one million years. But they are cool to have as another tool in your fishing arsenal or to keep things interesting by changing it up. Plus the action may better suit one's inherent casting style.

Edited by capefish4231

Those of us that started out with glass have no use for it today. Bearded hipsters with flat bills can preach all they want, glass sucks.

I have one fiberglass fly rod.  I built it on Fenwick blank.  It's a 7' 6" 5 wgt.   The intention was to use it as a small stream rod to use when I go up to Vermont.  I had it stored in a rod tube and literally forgot about it.   I took it out over the winter and put in my rod rack so I would actually use it this year.  Took it with me Saturday when I went out for the first time this year.  It was fun to use ended up catching a crappie and hold over rainbow trout with it.  I plan to use it again.  I also have a 9' 6" 10 wgt, also a Fenwick that I picked up at a flea market for $10.  It needs to be refurbished with new guides but I didn't get around to it over the winter.

5 mins ago, Local66 said:

Those of us that started out with glass have no use for it today. Bearded hipsters with flat bills can preach all they want, glass sucks.

What he said lol! I spent the first couple of decades with glass; Heddon, South Bend, then Phillipson and Fenwick and don't miss it in the least! For a long time once a year I took an old bamboo off the wall of my camp and wrestled the local LMBs with it just so I could remember how bad it was (it wasn't a high dollar cane rod). I have Luddite tendencies but I draw the line at graphite!

I'm not sure I would want to look to glass for demanding saltwater applications, but I own a couple old glass trout rods, and I do still enjoy them from time to time. I keep getting a Cabela's pop up add for a sale price on their glass rods, and I would be lying if I said my mouse finger isn't a little twitchy when I see that 6'3" 2 Wt. :squid: 

Alan

I have the Redington Butter Stick 370-3.  I use it mostly for sunfish.  I enjoy casting it, and I love that an 8" fish will bend you to the grip.

I never fished the old time rods - but I do have fun with this one.

I am a vinyl collector and I have a vacuum tube amplifier.  

To me

Vinyl plus analog system correctly setup gives the best musical performance...much like a high performance graphite rod.

I like fiberglass in 3wt-5wt and it has its uses.  But modern graphite can do what fiberglass does and more.

Posted (edited)

I grew up fishing an old fiberglass rod that my father gave me, so to me, fiberglass brings a nostalgic joy in remembrance of summer days and evenings at the local ponds and lakes of my childhood. So I enjoy it in that sense.

Objectively, graphite as a rod material is better in every way, except one. Fiberglass has a higher value for elongation at break, about double that of intermediate modulus carbon fiber. That's just an inherent mechanical property of the materials. So it will deflect or deform a greater distance without gross fracture than graphite will. Whether or not it's necessary is a different question entirely. There's a lot of graphite rods out there in use, and they have been in use for a long time, the vast majority without fail. If you're careful and mindful of how your equipment gets treated, then the extra degree of resilience is a moot point. If money is a concern, fiberglass tends to be less expensive too. Aside from that, graphite is superior in every way as a rod building material.

It might be the better choice for a rod which is designed to cushion against a load, rather than apply considerable pressure or force, but that's probably only really useful for guys using relatively light tippets or fighting violently mobile fish or both. I say might be on purpose. It's not immediately obvious which would be better, and would take some in-depth analysis to arrive at a sound conclusion.

Edited by RedGreen

I inherited a fenwick 4 wt 6'6'' glass rod from the 50's.  In small streams it is perfect for 10-15in trout.  It's also fun to use.  Nice change from 10wt graphite for stripers.  I'm sure the rod cost 100 bucks in the day.

Posted (edited)

I’d give one of the new ones a try if a buddy bought it, but wouldn’t buy one myself.

I had a bunch of older Fenwick glass rods that were collecting dust, so I sold them.

SF

Edited by Stonefish

2 hours ago, Local66 said:

Um, not all of us.  I love my glass (and grass) rods, so yes.

I enjoy fishing glass and grass....  It is not always the best choice.  I have a 7 wt glass switch rod that is an absolute joy to fish and will be my beach rod this year unless the big girls show up.

3 mins ago, titleguy said:

I enjoy fishing glass and grass....  It is not always the best choice.  I have a 7 wt glass switch rod that is an absolute joy to fish and will be my beach rod this year unless the big girls show up.

Fishing glass while smoking grass? or?