Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pauleye

Any Loomis Shortstix 7/8 experiences?

12 posts in this topic

I have Shortstix in 9/10 and 8/9.  I am thinking of getting a 7/8. Anyone have a 7/8 and like to share his/her thoughts on it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the 8/9 Shortstik is one of my favorites as an all-round rod, when I wanted something lighter, the 7/8 was a natural choice, and I'm glad I bought it.  It has been a lot of fun for freshwater ponds, night fishing around docks, and for small saltwater creeks. Kayak,  wading or skiff, it's been a good choice. Handles all the pond fish very well, and 5- to 10-pound bass and blues, and same size snook, tarpon and jacks. It throws lightly weighted flies and poppers, Deceivers and stuff like that, but big flies are a bit tougher to push out. Very accurate for dock fishing or for dropping a popper into an open spot in the weeds.

 

After trying several lines, the Wulff 8-weight Bermuda Short floater seemed to cast the best for me - weighs 190 grains at 20 feet, 255 at 30 feet, so it's a bit light for a rod rated at 250 to 300 grains, but it makes nice presentations without spooking fish.  When flats fishing and making generally longer casts  the standard triangle taper Wulff SWT8F has been good,  if I want to get down I go to the Lost Tip Wulff 8-weight Bermuda Short.

 

Now, I wish they made a 6/7!!!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SnookFly said:

Since the 8/9 Shortstik is one of my favorites as an all-round rod, when I wanted something lighter, the 7/8 was a natural choice, and I'm glad I bought it.  It has been a lot of fun for freshwater ponds, night fishing around docks, and for small saltwater creeks. Kayak,  wading or skiff, it's been a good choice. Handles all the pond fish very well, and 5- to 10-pound bass and blues, and same size snook, tarpon and jacks. It throws lightly weighted flies and poppers, Deceivers and stuff like that, but big flies are a bit tougher to push out. Very accurate for dock fishing or for dropping a popper into an open spot in the weeds.

 

After trying several lines, the Wulff 8-weight Bermuda Short floater seemed to cast the best for me - weighs 190 grains at 20 feet, 255 at 30 feet, so it's a bit light for a rod rated at 250 to 300 grains, but it makes nice presentations without spooking fish.  When flats fishing and making generally longer casts  the standard triangle taper Wulff SWT8F has been good,  if I want to get down I go to the Lost Tip Wulff 8-weight Bermuda Short.

 

Now, I wish they made a 6/7!!!!

 

 

I'm glad you mention freshwater as I'm looking for "that rod" I can fish for largemouths when I prefer something heavier than my 9' 6wt and also for small blues and schoolies. Does it have the same taper as the 7/8 but just less stiff (7/8 no a stiff stick to begin with) or do you feel it a little different, like softer in the tip section for lighter tippet protection?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I can say is, what a power bass rod, they’re good with outbound short head, quick presentation is plus with this rod. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pauleye said:

I'm glad you mention freshwater as I'm looking for "that rod" I can fish for largemouths when I prefer something heavier than my 9' 6wt and also for small blues and schoolies. Does it have the same taper as the 7/8 but just less stiff (7/8 no a stiff stick to begin with) or do you feel it a little different, like softer in the tip section for lighter tippet protection?

I bought the 7/8 for the same niche you are looking to fill (+smallies). The rod has been good to me for those applications plus some shad fishing. I fish mine with an 8wt OBS floater but I'm not completely satisfied with it's performance. I have a couple of other lines to try soon.

 

I really enjoy fishing these shorter rods for some reason but they will never fully replace my nine footers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pauleye - To me, the tapers of both blanks seem similar, but experts with a lot more savvy than me can explain the qualities of these rods in much more detail.  I just like the way they feel - very comfortable to cast, plenty of power to handle decent-size fish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DAQ - I also tried an OBS on the 7/8.  The line's actual weight is 235 grains at 20 feet and 335 grains at 30 feet, which is slightly heavier than the Royal Wulff 8-weights I'm using.  Maybe try a slightly lighter line?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SF,

 

Thanks for the recommendation, I will try a lighter line soon. The rod performs well as it is now but I think I can get a little more out of it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have any experience with Shortstix but have you looked at the competing shorter rods on the market like the Sage Bass? I cast it very briefly and it felt very light. Other than that I have no experience. 

Oh yeah, another alternative to the shortstix would be the orvis recon. The 9ft version is really nice and I have heard good things about the short version aswell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My father refers to his as the sniper.  These Shortstix, in true Loomis fashion, load fast and are accurate as can be.

 

A fantastic bass rod.  You can throw poppers accurately under overhanging limbs, specific lilly pads, and rises.  I think this rod fishes great out of a canoe or a pontoon raft.  The rod feels stout for the length too, so when a smallie takes a run for a log, you can apply the pressure as needed.  

 

Hope this helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, iamnobody said:

I don't have any experience with Shortstix but have you looked at the competing shorter rods on the market like the Sage Bass? I cast it very briefly and it felt very light. Other than that I have no experience. 

Oh yeah, another alternative to the shortstix would be the orvis recon. The 9ft version is really nice and I have heard good things about the short version aswell. 

Sage Bass II was great when I test cast it and felt light but I did not scale it. I bought Recon 7'11'' #10 because it was lighter (3.80oz) than Shortstik #9/10 (4.66oz) and it is best short rod I have cast and was only $50 more than Shortstik. 400gr to 450gr lines are not too heavy but deliver big flyes long way :)

 

Esa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just another thought about "actions" of short rods. They feel much different than a 9-foot rod so it's hard to put a name - moderate fast, fast, etc to the rod because the blank is, of course, shorter.  To a first timer with a short rod, the rod will feel awkward. But after using short rods almost exclusively for so long now, the reverse has become true and a 9 footer now feels awkward to me. Labelling actions is tough. Everyone has a different opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.