Seadogg

New Rio outbound short

15 posts in this topic

Putting together an 8wt setup and I’m pretty sure I’m going with this line based on its features. I’ve picked up a used Scott Tidal and a Galvan Rush LT. Looking at the I/S3 version as this seems like a good all around from the boat. I’ve been using the 350gr InTouch 30’ DC for the past few seasons with my 10wt and love it, aside from its cracking issues. Any thoughts on this line? 

I like the Rio OBS lines very much, but I have no specific experience with their S3 OBS. I have come to prefer the Airflo Sniper lines though. The Snipers have the same head length & weights as the OBS lines, but I find the Airflo running lines to be better handling and they tangle less for me. The Rio In Touch lines are great, but the Airflo is better, IMO. I think Airflo makes an 8wt Sniper S3 line—check the Bear’s Den site—they list all the Sniper lines. YMMV Have Fun

I have the previous version Outbound Short 9I/S3.  I'm not sure what changed (if anything) with the newer version.  Has a few cracks, but it hasn't been an issue yet.  I've been using it for 3 years I think.  I really haven't had any tangling issues with it, other than the first few times I used it maybe.  You can probably find the previous version I/S3 line on Ebay or I think Cabela's had it on sale also.

Yea Chris the Airflo was an option I considered so I’ll talk to Scott when I get there. Thanks for the recommendation. I definitely want a low or no stretch core, which both lines offer. Looking for max distance with good turnover for medium to large-ish flies (by 8wt standards). This will be a schoolie/albie/bonito setup primarily. 

check out the SA Titan taper,no stretch like the RIO but the head presents better,less likely to turn over too quick/dump like the OBS,short head like the OBS

20 mins ago, slip n slide said:

check out the SA Titan taper,no stretch like the RIO but the head presents better,less likely to turn over too quick/dump like the OBS,short head like the OBS

Another one I was looking at. Thanks. 

I’ve had a pretty bad relationship with most rio lines but I haven’t had any issues with the OBS. I fish an 8wt for stripers and my set up is airflo intermediate running line with OBS heads in intermediate, S3, and S6. I had a rio running line before the airflo and I would definitely not recommend it. Was fine for a little while but soon the coating started to crumble like most rio lines in my experience and tangled at least 9 out of 10 casts. The airflo has been reliable and durable through a full season of heavy fishing. As far as heads go, I tend to fish the s6 most of the time. I like to fish big flies and deeper water generally and this year will be adding a t11 and t14 head to to the quiver to get really deep. 

Anyways, I like the OBS heads. Airflo heads are probably great as well but never tried em. Just spare your self the frustration and avoid the rio shooting line! Good luck

RIO now makes InTouch version of the OutBound Short which is low stretch almost no stretch.  We had them on 8 rods last fall both intermediate, floater and FI and they were excellent.  Not problems what so ever.  They were on clients rods as well as personal rods.  But I have no experience with the I/S3. 

I like SA lines. I used to fish exclusively with 2 hand rods for Steel. The RIO Skagit lines are great. Their single hand offerings are not up to par with SA. 

330 grains is going to be a lot on the Scott tidal in my opinion. It’s not a super fast rod. Maybe you can test the set up before buying the line? 

1 hour ago, Camren said:

330 grains is going to be a lot on the Scott tidal in my opinion. It’s not a super fast rod. Maybe you can test the set up before buying the line? 

The three I’m interested in are around 280gr. I use 350gr on a 10wt Scott STS. 

I use a 350gr Serum line on my 9w St.Croix and it seems to do well.  But then again, I use the same line on my TFO Pandion 6 weight (2 hander rod rated very high in the weight range). Those 2 rods share all my 9 weight lines.

On 4/17/2018 at 10:21 AM, JoeSWFF said:

I use a 350gr Serum line on my 9w St.Croix and it seems to do well.  But then again, I use the same line on my TFO Pandion 6 weight (2 hander rod rated very high in the weight range). Those 2 rods share all my 9 weight lines.

Not to get too off topic, how do you like the serum? I was looking at the 350 for my 9wt, but am in a toss up between that and the SA titan taper

I like it allot, no trouble casting and I'm not a "super" caster. I also like the SA titan, have one on my 7 weight.  Imo, can't go wrong with either

Edited by JoeSWFF
Spelling