oceanAddict

How to choose water shoes for pedal kayak?

23 posts in this topic

Ok you wanted these for wearing over. You got Mares and Bares. These are the only two wetsuit boots that I know of that come wide and will fit over anything kayak anglers use. I had an old style Bares boot in 2013 and looks like Bares re-did the whole line up including shoes. Price are doubled too.  I'm in the market for a new farmer john so I'll give Bares a look.

Are you guys wearing neoprene boots over stocking-foot waders? If so don't your feet get too warm? 

I'm really struggling to find some water shoes to wear over waders that are wide enough without being way to long in the foot. All the fancy kayak boots I've tried are way too narrow.

I have the kokatat semi dry suit and wear a size 12 sneaker. I bought the NRS  mens paddle wetshoe in size 13 to wear with the drysuit and they are a perfect fit.

NRS Men's Paddle Wetshoe - Closeout

Edited by To0l

I have been wearing the Hodgman Neoprene Wading boots for a couple of years now.

Best boot imho.

Extremely durable. Very, very affordable.

The zipper is thick, nice and tight.

Sizes are pretty true. I am a 14 in regular footwear and the same in this boot.

Hodgman Neo.jpg

I use the Neosport Low Paddle Shoes. Their only disadavntage is, the overcuff on a drysuit does not prevent sand and gravel from getting in them. So, you need a wetsock. However, these things are extremely well made and do not come off. That's very important if you plan to do any surf launching. They attach with a velcro strap AND a cord cinch. I have had other shoes pulled off my feet by bigger surf. That SUCKS! Anyway, they are cheap and durable. Buy 2 sizes over for a good fit over heavy socks.

Image result for low paddle shoes

My waders have the neoprene boots on them. 

All I did was spend 8 dollars at a job lot store for cheap pool shoes, not flip flops. Bought them 2 sizes bigger for the boot. 

It's been 4 yrs and I still use them. 

I save my mares stuff for spearfishing :)

I've been wearing Vibram 5 fingers for over 10 years.  I've tried other styles and brands (just because), but always returned to the Vibram's.  The  very first few days were awkward but I've grown to love 'em.  I've never had them compromised when walking broken shell beds, stone, or roads.

I was over in Florence a couple of months back and saw the good folks of Vibram showcasing their new product that doesn’t slip on ice...

that italian company makes nice products