oceanAddict

How to choose water shoes for pedal kayak?

23 posts in this topic

Hi, wondering what to look at when choosing water shoes for a pedal kayak?  I assume it's less critical in regular kayaks, but for pedaling it probably makes sense to have less bulky shoes?  One thing I know for sure I want those that have a zipper. Also, should I go a size up if I'm planning to use it with a drysuit? 

I'm pretty much picking between NRS Backwater Wetshoes and ATB Wetshoes, but still open and if you have any suggestions I'm all ears

Thanks

If your dry suit has  feet in it that are over sized you may need to order the next size up.  Also if you plan on wearing socks in the spring and fall the extra

space on the larger sided might come in handy.  In a perfect world back when kayak stores were local you could go in and try the stuff on. Unfortunately

we live in an internet world these days.  Good luck with your decision. 

Everyone told me to go a size up when they should have said 2 sizes up!  Learn from my mistake friend and try the shoes on in person.  Don't be afraid to bring your suit for the test either.  Their is no benefit to snug shoes while kayaking.  If they are on the loose side, you'll have more room for layering socks and even if they are very loose it wont be an issue while pedaling since your foot will be against the pedal.

IMO, Dry suite boots aren't for support.  They are just a barrier from the elements/rocks.

Posted (edited)

I found NRS to be the cheapest crappiest wet boots ever made. I started hitting dive shops 5 seasons ago after buying a pair of NRS that fell apart at the bottom and never looked back. Dive shops will have cheaper and better made boots than any premium price slapped on boots because it says for kayaking. I use Mares brand now. Go to a local dive shop and try out boots and see which one works for you.

mares.JPG

Edited by The Riddler

Ditto on the Mares ^^

can't go wrong for 35 bucks.........

I take a size 12 street shoe size......When i bought my Dry Suit i already had a pair of  size 12 Mares 5mm classics on hand......... I was already contemplating upping my size 12's to a 13 to make room for the dry suit bootie & any socks i'd be wearing underneath but when i got everything on & slapped the size 12's on i was happily surprised to find it all fit very well, not restricting at all...

All in all the neoprene stretches a bit so everything worked out, gave me a nice snug fit, just the way its supposed to.....

When its time to replace them i will get the same boot in the same size but in the 7mm version

Best...... 

2 hours ago, The Riddler said:

I found NRS to be the cheapest crappiest wet boots ever made. I started hitting dive shops 5 seasons ago after buying a pair of NRS that fell apart at the bottom and never looked back. Dive shops will have cheaper and better made boots than any premium price slapped on boots because it says for kayaking. I use Mares brand now. Go to a local dive shop and try out boots and see which one works for you.

mares.JPG

Riddler - you use these over stocking foot waders I presume?  I use a pair of Servus knee high rubber boots but they are rather clunky.  These look like they would be better.  Thx

No.  I wear Tevas with waders or wading boots. It may work. You will have to try it. 

I wear Mares alone with wet suit and used over dry suit sock.  The Mares are wide roomy wet boots. 

I will try mares with my stocking foot waders and see.  Curious myself.

6 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I will try mares with my stocking foot waders and see.  Curious myself.

Gotcha, thanks.  

Let us know how it works Riddler. 

I've been curious about that but never had a chance to take my waders to a dive shop.

Posted (edited)

It works.  Size 10 Mares Triboots 6.5 with hodgman stocking foot. I have just a pair of cotton socks on underneath.  These Mares are some of the widest in the wet shoe line up. I wesr a 3e -H  9.5 Red Wings boot and the Mare still fits with that thick neoprene wader sock. Unreal. 

444CC34A-1E1C-4C30-A834-E7659C2574E5.jpeg

F6142A78-C3AA-4296-88F3-0C8BB0723788.jpeg

5E3F458A-BC53-4398-97F9-E64B642D1766.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler

Awesome, thanks for suggestions.

Yeah, looking at NRS shoes finish, I can  see they are not a top-notch product lol. And I was thinking the same about getting size+2 because of the amount of material added by drysuit and possible socks. Tight booties make feet cold really quick. 

39 mins ago, oceanAddict said:

Awesome, thanks for suggestions.

Yeah, looking at NRS shoes finish, I can  see they are not a top-notch product lol. And I was thinking the same about getting size+2 because of the amount of material added by drysuit and possible socks. Tight booties make feet cold really quick. 

Mares isnt the only brand. Its a wide brand for sure and durable.  If you dont require wide foot I would look at Oneils. Just too tight for me.  

5D847565-5343-412C-9149-A92934757177.png

"Mares isnt the only brand. Its a wide brand for sure and durable.  If you dont require wide foot I would look at Oneils. Just too tight for me. "

I surf and SUP, so I have  3, 7 and 7 mm O'Neills  booties (as well as several wetsuits all by ONeill too - love those).  There is no way to wear those on drysuit, tight, glove-like fitting that creates warmth. Always true to size btw.